Appointment/Position DetailPosition Information Classification TitleTBDJob TitlePayroll AssistantLocationMiddlebury, VT CampusHourly/SalariedHourlyBand/LevelOP3Hiring Minimum$15.22Brief Position Summary
Assist in all activities necessary to process the retiree payroll and the biweekly payrolls at Middlebury College and at The Monterey Institute, and the summer Language School payroll: assist in the preparation, documentation and disbursement of all payroll checks, direct deposits, employee and employer payroll taxes and retirement contributions as well as other benefits within the Ellucian Banner software system.
Offer is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.
Assists with the following:
- Uses the Banner system and interfacing time and activity recording systems to capture, review, and validate all payable time worked by exempt and non-exempt, hourly, term, and temporary Middlebury College and Monterey Institute employees.
- Resolves any time, pay, and benefits eligibility issues with Human Resources in advance of payroll runs.
- Inputs all relevant rate/time data for special one-time pay and for other employees not using electronic time submission.
- Inputs special data related to car use by Facilities employees.
- Sets up, inputs and reviews special employee deductions for Golf & Ski pass purchases, mortgage subsidies, College rental housing, payroll liens, United Way, and College gifts.
- Runs tests of gross and net pay and performs specific review of highly compensated employees.
- Produces payroll documents (checks and direct deposit stubs); inserts into envelopes, sorts, batches and distributes for mailing and departmental pick-up.
- Transmits electronic files for each payroll to appropriate banks.
- Runs payroll tax reports to ensure compliance with federal and state taxes; prepares vouchers for remittance to tax authorities; completes electronic filings for tax withholdings and employer matching with tax authorities: IRS, State of Vermont, California and other states with Middlebury/Monterey employees.
- Transmits retirement benefits data from Banner to TIAA, prepares vouchers to assure deposit of pension withholdings and College contributions into employee accounts.
- Maintains payroll inbox in Outlook.
- Initiates and completes relevant electronic feeds of pay event data to accounting ledger within the Banner software system.
- Assists the Director of Payroll to keep current on changes in tax law at federal and state level with respect to payroll statutes and to incorporate requisite changes/updates into payroll preparation and reporting procedures.
- Assists the Director of Payroll in consultations with Human Resources on a regular basis to assure complete coordination of efforts and procedures with pay, deduction, and benefits codes used for payroll production, tracking and reporting within the Banner payroll system and that employees reporting time are properly coded within Banner system to allow timely payment and reporting and to ensure compliance with the Fair Labor Standards Act(FLSA).
- In the absence of the Director of Payroll, assists with working with LIS personnel to identify and resolve any and all payroll systems issues within Banner and participates with the coordination of all system upgrades which impact the payroll modules within the Banner system.
- Tracks taxable fringe benefits for 1099 reporting.
- Prepares the 1098 mortgage interest statements.
- Prepares the LC-142 forms (VT Landlord Certificates).
- Processes all redistribution of labor charges within Banner.
- Other tasks as assigned by the Director of Payroll.
A.) Allocation of Responsibilities:
- 90% Administration and execution of bi-weekly payrolls for Middlebury College and Monterey Institute.
- 10%Maintenance of payroll systems/data and administration of payroll files and reporting.
B.) Relationships: The groups of people inside and outside of the College with whom the position incumbent must interact as an integral part of her/his job responsibilities.
- Staff /Faculty – Respond to generic and individually specific questions about payroll and resolve issues raised by employees promptly and with tact and diplomacy.
- Controller – Collaborate with Controller to assure full coverage and timely reporting within the payroll function during absences/vacations and to keep Controller apprised of current or upcoming issues which might affect the efficiency or integrity of the payroll function.
- Fiscal Auditors – Provide timely data, information, and reports in response to auditor requests.
- Tax Authorities – Report all required tax information timely to relevant tax authorities and assure timely remittance of all payroll-related tax obligations.
- Other Agencies – provide timely remittance of required lien/garnishment payments to appropriate agencies.
- Human Resources – Collaborate with Human Resources to ensure quality and, as necessary, correct any defects in HR/Payroll process.
- Tax Manager – Collaborate with Tax Manager to assure reporting integrity and full legal compliance by the College in all tax matters related to payroll and employment.
Associates degree in accounting, business, finance or related field and/or professional certification (FPC, CPP, etc.). A thorough working knowledge of payroll principles and related regulations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Strong written and verbal communication skills, good organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to formulate and clearly articulate goals and objectives; manage time and competing priorities effectively in a fast paced environment; ability to inspire, persuade and lead staff; ability to learn new business processes rapidly. Advanced computer skills, including proficiency with MS Excel, knowledge of Ellucian Banner and Hyperion preferred.
Three or more years experience in a payroll function involving increasing levels of responsibility and independent action with regard to processes, systems and management of personnel, preferably in a setting of Higher Education; solid facility with microcomputers, including Excel software; familiarity with Ellucian Banner software desirable.
Offer is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.Quicklink for Postinghttp://middlebury.peopleadmin.com/postings/19593Supplemental Questions for Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Middlebury web site
- Email Job Alert
- Employee Referral
- Newspaper advertisement
- Resume/C V