Heating Plant Operator
Requisition InformationPosition Information Posted with Limited AccessNoLimited Access Period Ending DateTitleHeating Plant OperatorPosting NumberS01306Full-Time/Part-TimeFull-timeTypical Hours Per Week40Regular, Temporary or TermIf temporary or term, enter anticipated end dateBenefits Eligible?YesHourly/SalariedHourlyBand/LevelSP2Hiring Minimum$19.13DepartmentFacilities ServicesLocationMiddlebury, VT CampusHire contingent upon successful completion of the following post-offer screeningCriminal Background Check, Post-offer Pre-employment Physical Exam Position Summary Position Summary
Operates and maintains central heating plant systems and equipment.Responsibilities Essential Functions
Earliest anticipated start date is September 3, 2019.
Offer is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check and a post-offer pre-employment screening. Please see the physical demands section for additional information.
- Operates biomass gasification plant for generation of 250 psi steam.
- Coordinates wood chip deliveries to ensure adequate inventory level.
- Operates boilers and auxiliary equipment for generation of 125 psi and 250 psi steam.
- Operates steam-driven turbines and auxiliary equipment for 480 volt, 3 phase, power generation.
- Collects plant process data and maintains written and computer logs throughout shift.
- Performs basic maintenance on equipment as required.
- Maintains the heating plant in a tour-ready condition at all times by performing routine housekeeping including, dusting, sweeping, vacuuming, mopping, garbage removal, and painting.
- Handles hazardous waste such as: oily rags, used lubricants, and fluorescent bulbs in the approved manner.
- Performs standard tests on boiler feed water and steam condensate and chemically treats as needed.
- Follows procedures and safety rules as required. Implements lockout/tag-out, fall protection, and confined entry policies to comply with O.S.H.A regulations.
- Performs all duties in a safe and professional manner and in accordance with established Middlebury College and departmental policies and procedures including the Code of Conduct.
- Performs other heating plant related responsibilities as necessary.
- Receives heating oil deliveries at heating plant.
- Maintains heating oil tank levels.
- Receives water treatment chemicals at heating plant.
- Must be flexible with work schedule. Plant operates 24/7/365. Weekends and holidays are included in work schedule.
- Must successfully pass the Central Heating Plant Operating Training, which includes sign-off of the training manual.
- Complies with spill prevention, control, and countermeasure processes for heating plant.
- Ensures plant operation complies with all Air Quality Permit requirements.
- Works cooperatively with others and accepts direction from supervisors but also able to operate the plant autonomously when necessary.
- Actively engages in the implementation of the Middlebury College 2028 Energy Initiative.
- May cross-train in other mechanical/electrical trade shops and support other Facilities Services department needs.
- Performs other duties as assigned to assist the department in obtaining and maintaining its mission.
High school diploma or equivalent required. Power plant operating certification/license (i.e. NUILPE) or equivalent power plant or process experience preferred.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of college steam and electrical distribution systems preferred.
- Basic math and computer skills required.
- Possess basic knowledge of proper cleaning, maintenance and inspection of boiler steam drums and fireside area.
- Understands basic process control systems.
- Should have maintenance and trouble shooting skills for heating plant electrical, steam, condensate, heating oil, natural gas, feed water, propane, compressed air equipment and systems.
- Familiar with basic turbine/generator operation and maintenance.
- Familiar with basic O.S.H.A regulations including lockout-tagout, fall protection, confined space, handling hazardous materials and waste, fire safety.
- Working knowledge of heating plant Factory Mutual annual inspection process.
- Must have working knowledge of boiler combustion control and burner management systems.
- Must be a self-starter and possess a high level of personal initiative.
- Ability to logically troubleshoot equipment problems.
- Must be able to read gauges and thermometers
- Must be comfortable climbing ladders, daily.
- Must be a team player, willing to work days, evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Must be willing to work occasional overtime.
- Forklift experience preferred.
- Driver’s license required.
Minimum 2 years’ experience required in power plant, turbine generator or equivalent industrial process operations.Physical Demands
Click here to view the full physical demand requirements for this position. (Category R screen)Posting Information Close DateOpen Until FilledYesSpecial Instructions to Applicants
Earliest anticipated start date is September 3, 2019.
Offer is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check and a post-offer pre-employment screening. Please see the physical demands section for additional information.Recommendations
Some postings require contact information for reference providers for confidential letters of recommendation.Recommendation Letter RequirementsSupplemental Questions for Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Middlebury web site
- Email Job Alert
- Employee Referral
- Newspaper advertisement
- Cover Letter
- Resume/C V
- Reference Letter 1
- Reference Letter 2
- Reference Letter 3