Museum Assistant Registrar
Requisition InformationPosition Information Posted with Limited AccessNoLimited Access Period Ending DateTitleMuseum Assistant RegistrarPosting NumberS01198Full-Time/Part-TimeFull-timeTypical Hours Per Week38.75Regular, Temporary or TermIf temporary or term, enter anticipated end dateBenefits Eligible?YesHourly/SalariedSalariedBand/LevelSP2Hiring Minimum$38,546.95DepartmentMuseum of ArtLocationMiddlebury, VT CampusHire contingent upon successful completion of the following post-offer screeningCriminal Background Check Position Summary Position Summary
The Assistant Registrar will support the Museum Registrar in the care and recordkeeping of the Middlebury
College Museum of Art’s permanent collection.
Offer is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.
- Manages the Museum’s database and public online access to the Museum’s collection, including entering
and updating data and images in the system; acting as the liaison between software providers and the
College; creating authorities, controls, and customizations; and providing training, user support, and access.
- Oversees photography of the Museum’s collection and the documentation, preservation, access, and
distribution of the Museum’s digital image collections, including rights management and copyright
compliance according to professional standards and best practices.
- Assists with the care of the Museum’s collections through proper art handling, cataloging, numbering,
condition reporting, the tracking of art movement, and the management of regular inventories.
- Assists the Museum Registrar in serving the needs of the College community and the general public by
providing access to art in the Museum’s collections.
- Maintains departmental documentation including records, files, correspondence, and a full range of
- Exercises discretion and good judgment in dealing with objects, donors, lenders, and other constituents
served by the department.
- Oversees a student intern.
- Performs other related duties as needed.
BA in Art History, Arts Administration, or related field.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Art historical expertise.
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite, required;
experience with TMS preferred.
- Knowledge of electronic imaging technology.
- Ability to apply new technology to the development of new instructional methods for art history courses.
- Knowledge of professional photographic methods and techniques.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and writing skills.
- Two or more years of registration or comparable experience in a museum setting with significant experience
in automated collections records management and cataloging.
- Must be able to lift and carry delicate and awkward items weighing up to 50 lbs.Posting Information Close DateOpen Until FilledYesSpecial Instructions to Applicants
Offer is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.Recommendations
Some postings require contact information for reference providers for confidential letters of recommendation.Recommendation Letter RequirementsSupplemental Questions for Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Please include the names of two references along with email and phone contact information.
(Open Ended Question)
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Middlebury web site
- Email Job Alert
- Employee Referral
- Newspaper advertisement
- Cover Letter
- Resume/C V