Assistant Professor of Security Studies
Department:: Social Science and Public Affairs
Locations:: Saratoga Springs, NY
Posted:: Jul 24, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
About Empire State College:
Empire State College was established in 1971 by Dr. Ernest Boyer as a distinctive statewide institution focused on innovative and nontraditional teaching and learning.
The college continues its 48-year commitment experimenting with new, flexible, and individualized modes of learning through such practices as mentoring students throughout their academic studies, creating individualized degree plans, valuing learning gained from life and work experience, building professional and social student support communities and creating flexible modes of delivery to meet students' diverse learning preferences. The college now boast over 87,000 proud and successful alumni and partners while serving appropriately 17,000 students a year who want to expand their personal and professional horizons.
Empire State College is a part of the SUNY System and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. With headquarters in Saratoga Springs, New York, ESC serves mostly working adults pursuing associate, bachelor's and master's degrees online and onsite at 35 locations across the state of New York and abroad.
The Department of Social Science and Public Affairs at SUNY, Empire State College, is seeking to fill a full time, tenure track position in the field of Security Studies. The department is housed in the Division of Social and Behavioral Sciences in Empire State College's School of Undergraduate Studies. The successful candidate will teach, develop curriculum, and mentor/advise students in an interdisciplinary Security Studies program offered both face-to-face and online. The candidate will have an opportunity to play a significant role in the development of the program. As such, the college seeks an entrepreneurial scholar and teacher who can understand and balance the academic, intellectual, and professional needs of our student population.
Empire State College has locations throughout New York State, and there may be some flexibility regarding the location for this position. The appointment is expected to be at the rank of Assistant Professor, though exceptionally well-qualified candidates may be considered for an initial appointment at the rank of Associate Professor.
- Teach undergraduate students
- Mentor/advise undergraduate students who are developing individualized degree programs in the School of Undergraduate Studies
- Participate in college and division service and governance activities
- Conduct and disseminate academic research, and maintain an active and ongoing research program
- Participate significantly in the development of a Security Studies program
- Develop online courses and independent studies in the field of Security Studies
- Maintain a regular presence in the office or other college locations, as needed
- Master's degree in Security Studies, International Relations, Emergency Management, Criminal Justice, Public Policy, from an accredited US university or comparable non-US university
- Record of academic engagement with one or more core elements of Security Studies, including homeland security, infrastructure security, international security, social dimensions of security, and/or security ethics and law. Evidence of this engagement may be demonstrated through graduate coursework, conference presentations, peer-reviewed publications, or applied learning in relevant professional contexts
- Previous college-level teaching experience
- Terminal degree in Security Studies, International Relations, Emergency Management, Criminal Justice, Public Policy, or Law, from an accredited US university or comparable non-US university
- Experience with interdisciplinary academic programming and teaching
- Understanding and appreciation of the needs of non-traditional students
- Experience with academic program development
- Online teaching and course development experience
- Demonstrated record of scholarly achievement
- Professional experience in the field of security studies, or closely related field
- Occasional travel may be required
- Some evening and/or weekend engagement with students may be required
- Visa support is not available for this position
Rank/Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Empire State College is an EOE employer.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security
Applications Due: Applications accepted until position is filled.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit the following documents, which are required for consideration by clicking on the APPLY NOW button :
- Cover letter
- Name and contact information of three references
Returning Applicants - Please click here to login to your Empire State College Employment Account to check your completed application or to update your account.