Senior Technical Support Specialist
Information Technology (IT) supports the vision, values, mission, and goals of the University through providing IT infrastructure, systems, administrative applications, academic resources and related services to faculty, students and staff. Embracing DUs Impact 2025, the division partners with administrative and academic units to align strategic goals and operational plans, providing unified service in the spirit of One DU.
The IT Campus Partnerships Department provides customer focused support for a wide variety of technology resources campus-wide, at the University of Denver. Through a combination of distributed IT staff, tiered support and a call center, this customer centric department collaborates with campus partners to manage, maintain, and support the infrastructures for the multi-dimensional ways needed to support teaching, learning, events, and the day-to-day business operations at the university.
Reporting to the Technical Support Supervisor, within the IT Campus Partnerships Department, this position is responsible for the maintenance and monitoring of a variety of technology solutions. This position requires an understanding of infrastructure, excellent customer service, and knowledge of the essential tools required to support the DU community. This position works closely with University customers, IT specialists within IT Campus Partnerships and IT Infrastructure, and vendors to manage and evaluates technologies. The position requires the technician to remain current with industry best practices and participate within a team environment. The individual in this position needs to possess an understanding of established procedures, and has the ability to resolve complex issues, applying skills and knowledge in multiple functions.
This position is responsible for providing technical support for users; maintaining various operating system installations for workstations and laptops, configurations, monitoring, and maintenance: and utilizing strong organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills to evaluate situations to make recommendations and prompt, effective corrective action. They will need to work closely with all members of the IT Campus Partnerships area, the IT Infrastructure department, the IT Enterprise Applications department, and numerous clients to solve tasks and incidents.
- Trains and educates new and current employees on technologies and serves as University technical resource.
- Stays current on industry best practices and suggests ways to implement and update current University practices and technologies.
- Serves as the main point of contact for enterprise systems and contributes to the development of operations improvement plans
- Provides technical support and assistance to customers, including resolving issues of moderate to significant complexity, assisting with scheduled maintenance, and diagnosis and resolution of reported difficulties.
- Addresses and responds to customer inquiries on University products and services, including installation, operational functions, troubleshooting, and maintenance
- Provides customers with preventive maintenance and configuration recommendations to improve product usability, performance, and customer satisfaction
- Documents and responds to computer hardware failures, malware and virus threats in collaboration with the IT Security Team, software troubleshooting requests, networking issues, system upgrade requests, file permission requests, new software deployments, and other issues as assigned.
- Installs, configures and performs routine maintenance on hardware and software including Windows and Mac operating systems with appropriate certifications.
- Audits equipment, including an inventory and review of workstations with serial numbers, warranty info, and location information.
- Assists in project management within the department and in collaboration with the IT Project Management Office.
- Documents procedures addressing frequently occurring issues for clients. Manages software upgrades and patches as directed, including but not limited to browsers, operating systems, and tests for compatibility with University of Denver enterprise and other applications.
- Serves as a mentor and guide Support Specialists and Help Desk employees
- Possesses a deep understanding of the Universitys products and services.
- Participates as a fully invested member of the IT Campus Partnerships department and Information Technology division. Works collaboratively to resolve issues and provides a positive experience for the University community. Researches and contributes ideas for improvement.
- As appropriate, performs other duties as assigned
- Work closely with all UTS Departments and Distributed IT
- Ensure exceptional customer service and technical resolution by providing continuous training and mentoring on customer service and technical skills.
- Co-Administer ITSM ServiceNow system
- Train all ServiceNow ITIL users on standard use of core modules
- Serve as QA and Analytics Specialist as part of the ITSM Working Group in UTS.
- Plans, organizes, and serves as project manager on large/complex information technology projects, including departmental and building moves that require multiple meetings with constituents to ensure proper technology needs and implementation of items including static IP addresses, DNS changes, etc. in a timely manner.
- Maintain laptop loaner pool and evaluate laptop requirements for all students at the University by working with relevant departments to ensure proper laptop requirements.
- Coordinate student technology orientations quarterly, create and keep up to date presentations for departments with different needs including the English Language Center.
- Represent UTS in all areas related to student technology at the University.
- Monitor response times for SLAs, evaluate user satisfaction levels for surveys and customer inquiries, and make recommendations for improvement.
- Perform repairs for Dell and Alienware laptops and desktops.
- Oversee the creation of knowledge articles for internal use, as well as DU community.
- Work with hardware and software vendors to solve technical issues.
- Build and update standard images for Windows operating systems.
- Creation and maintenance of Parallels/VMware (virtual machine) images for Windows operating systems, as well as VDI images for labs and virtual sessions.
- Attend regular meetings as Customer Service Representative, making independent decisions on support activities within Customer Service and UTS.
- Address multiple high priority, critical issues with high impact and urgency efficiently and effectively.
- Defines the UTS Customer Service teams mission, scope, operational priorities, standards and guidelines.
- Define and manage guidelines for response times, monitor workload, deadlines, progress, and goals.
- Evaluates emerging technologies and identifies hardware, software, and other resources necessary to accomplish unit tasks within budgetary constraints. Recommends the purchase of hardware/software.
- Includes training, hiring, evaluating, discipline and complaints, and scheduling/adjusting all Help Center staff as appropriate to ensure all hours are appropriately staffed. Work with HR, Shared Services, and additional departments to be in compliance including items such as Kronos, F1 and additional student visas, etc.
- Guides Help Center and Field Support Services staff concerning highly complex technical, ITSM Process and operational questions and performance expectations; develops and implements training to develop staff technical and/or management skills.
- Adjusting rates of pay, promotions, evaluations, directing their work, appraising productivity and efficiency.
- Training for all staff to ensure HIPAA and FERPA compliance.
- Improve workflow and performance; evaluate operation to provide best support.
- Monitor, negotiate, and write SLAs to ensure timely support.
- Create, monitor, and ensure SOP is followed. Determine guidelines, address concerns, and resolve issues.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must be able to gather and organize information to identifying needs and possible solutions, with the able to communicate with diplomacy, tact, and judgment, both in person and on the telephone.
- Skill in providing a high level of information technology related customer service to users having varying levels of technical expertise.
- Ability to prioritize work requests, work independently, manage projects, and be able to concentrate and not be distracted while performing task.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Must be able to analyze, troubleshoot, organize work, set priorities and develop possible solutions for problems.
- Good organizational skills, punctuality, and dependability.
- Must be able to interact with all members of the University community and work within a team environment.
- Must be able to perform well under pressure and be able to change behavior in relation to the actions of others.
- Must be comfortable with setting up and supporting video conference meetings making quick decisions in front of large groups.
- Associates degree or equivalent education in related field.
- 3 years of progressive information technology experience in workstation, client, frontline support.
- Experience working in Windows environment, supporting iOS devices, and prior experience with Office 365.
- Experience working with audio visual, video, and computer equipment.
- Experience supporting video conferencing technologies.
- 3 years of competently and professionally troubleshoot Windows and Macintosh computers, network issues, and mobile devices in a variety of business settings.
- Bachelors degree in Information Technology, Management Information Systems, or related field.
- 5 years of progressive information technology experience in workstation, client, frontline support.
- 2 years of experience working in Windows environment supporting iOS devices, and experience with Office 365.
- 1 year of information technology experience supporting executives.
- Experience in a higher education setting.
- Any of the following certifications: Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP) certification, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC) certification, Apple Certified Macintosh Technician (ACMT) certification, SSCM, or JAMF certification, Dell desktop and laptop hardware repair certifications.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Active Directory, Group Policy, Microsoft Exchange, LDAP authentication, and VMWare VM/VDI deployments.
- 2 years of experience using system management software such as SCCM, or JAMF
- The work environment is a university with cyclical periods of increased workloads with the possibility of moderate to high stress levels.
- The department is highly automated with attention paid to ergonomics and safety.
- The unit is one of several working collaboratively and cooperatively in a team-based organization.
- The work environment consists of surroundings with moderate noise levels and frequent contact with electrical devices.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions which include:
- Ability to sit in front of a computer for an extended period of time.
- Stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; teach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl under desk/tables to troubleshoot cables and network connections; talk or hear; walk-up flights of stairs.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Evenings and weekends as required.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on August 5, 2019.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected candidate balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.