Student/Learner Accommodation Services Director
Under the general direction of the University of Massachusetts Medical School’s (UMMS) Associate Vice Chancellor for Management, the Director of Student/Learner Accommodation Services will direct accommodation services for UMMS students (School of Medicine, Graduate School of Nursing, and Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences) and Residents/Fellows (all of whom are collectively referred to herein as “Learners”).Responsibilities
- Oversee, manage, and coordinate all UMMS Learner’s requests for accommodation.
- Conduct intake interviews with UMMS Learners.
- Maintain accurate, comprehensive and up-to-date notes/records related to requests for accommodation.
- Review submitted documentation and evaluative reports. Evaluate nature and extent of stated disability, potential eligibility for ADA services, prepare letters of disposition of accommodation requests (including, where appropriate, proposed reasonable accommodations).
- If reasonable accommodations are appropriate, organize and assist in coordinating same as well as related services and auxiliary aids. Conduct follow-up meetings with Learners.
- Provide information and guidance on ADA issues to students who have been accepted into UMMS’ three Schools, and to residents/fellows who have become UMMS employees (also consulting with residency Program Directors).
- When appropriate or necessary, consult and/or interact with Vice Provost for Student Life, Academic Accommodations Committee (AAC), Office of Human Resources, and Diversity and Inclusion Office.
- Provide guidance/instruction on ADA policies, rules, regulations and best practices as they pertain to Learners in educational/work settings in the health professions, including but not limited to disseminating information to our Learners on ADA matters and our institutional processes relating to same.
- Communicate with internal UMMS departments/business units, the AAC and Office of Graduate Medical Education (GME) to coordinate reasonable accommodation needs.
- Collaborate and consult with each School, the Office of GME, and internal department(s)/business unit with respect to potential referrals to certain community and UMMS services or agencies.
- Collaborate with internal and external departments and/or resources, i.e., Human Resources, VPSL, Office of GME, and off-site clinical/educational locations etc., to implement accommodations and ensure compliance.
- Maintain UMMS’ compliance with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Master's Level Degree or equivalent in Social Work, Education, or a related field
- 5 years of experience dealing with Disability and ADA accommodations, preferably in Higher Education