Initial Review Date: 09/02/2019**Any complete applications received after the review date will only be forwarded to the hiring committee at their request. The Foothill-De Anza Community College District is currently accepting applications for the faculty position of Instructor, Microbiology, De Anza College. Foothill – De Anza Community College District Mission Statement:The mission of the Foothill–De Anza Community College District is student success. We are driven by an equity agenda and guided by core values of excellence, inclusion, and sustainability. Every member of our district contributes to a dynamic learning environment that fosters student engagement, equal opportunity, and innovation in meeting the various educational and career goals of our diverse students. We are committed to providing an accessible, quality undergraduate education dedicated to developing a broadly educated and socially responsible community that supports an equitable and just future for California. De Anza College Mission Statement:De Anza College provides an academically rich, multicultural learning environment that challenges students of every background to develop their intellect, character and abilities; to realize their goals; and to be socially responsible leaders in their communities, the nation and the world. De Anza College fulfills its mission by engaging students in creative work that demonstrates the knowledge, skills and attitudes contained within the college’s Institutional Core Competencies:
- Communication and expression Information literacy Physical/mental wellness and personal responsibility Civic capacity for global, cultural, social and environmental awarenessCritical thinking
- Understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.A Master's degree in any biological science OR Bachelor's in any biological science AND Master's in biochemistry, biophysics, or marine science OR the equivalent.
- College-level instructional experience in Microbiology. Community College level experience teaching Microbiology lecture and laboratory classes.Experience working with microbesExperience working in aseptic conditionsExperience with techniques and equipment required in teaching subject areas in lecture, laboratory or clinical settings.Teaching pedagogy adaptable to a variety of learning styles including an emphasis on interactive multimedia, internet resources, and hands-on lab experiences.In addition, successful candidates will demonstrate the following:Ability to teach and communicate effectively with students.Ability to work closely and cooperatively with faculty and support staff.Ability to develop curriculum and work with academically and culturally diverse students.Flexibility and ability to work as a member of a team of professionals.Ability to communicate articulately and effectively with individuals differing in age, gender, ethnicity, educational, and economic background.Ability to encourage students to engage in their own learning and motivate them to develop critical thinking skills.Ability to change systems of teaching delivery to meet differing student needs and able to adapt to change easily.Awareness of how Biology might be biased by socio-cultural norms and an ability to facilitate difficult conversations on the topic of cultural considerations in the classroom.
- Indoor, office environment.
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information.Vision sufficient to read various materials.Dexterity of hands and fingers to perform the tasks required of the position.Regularly stand, walk, and sit for extended periods of time.Bending at waist, kneeling, or crouching. Reaching overhead, above the shoulders, and horizontally. Lifting and carrying objects up to 20 lbs.
- A District on-line application to be completed at http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/ *In the application, you will provide information, which demonstrates your understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff. Additionally, you will be asked to explain how your life experiences, studies or work have influenced your commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. A cover letter detailing your background and experience, skills, and abilities as they relate to the minimum and preferred qualifications of this position. A current resume of all work experience, formal education and training.In a Word document as a separate attachment, please answer each of the below questions in 500 words or less:
a) Why do you want to teach at a community college?b) What teaching/learning strategies have you found successful and how do they fit with the variety of learning styles encountered in a culturally diverse community college classroom?c) A current resume of all work experience, formal education and training. If you wish to request equivalency for this position (if you believe you do not otherwise meet minimum qualifications via educational degree attainment as specified), you may submit the Request for Equivalency form. This form will need to be submitted with your application packet. You may either scan a hard copy of this form with your application packet or submit it as a Word document with your application packet. http://hr.fhda.edu/_downloads/Equivalency.pdf If any required application materials are omitted, the committee will not review your application packet. Application materials not required (including reference letters) for this position will not be accepted. For full-consideration, all application packets must be received by 11:59 pm on the closing date. Please allow yourself ample time to complete your application and resolve any technical difficulties that may arise with your submission. We do not guarantee a response to application questions within 48 hours of the closing date. You may also visit our “Applicant Information” webpage to assist with technical difficulties at: http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/a-applicant-instructions.htmlHIRING RANGE: $57,066.00 - $93,722.00 annually plus benefits; actual placement is based on applicant’s verified education and experience. For the complete Faculty Salary Schedule, go to:http://hr.fhda.edu/_downloads/All%20Faculty%20Schedules_16-17.pdfExcellent benefits package which includes medical coverage for employee and eligible dependents, dental, vision care, employee assistance program, long term disability, retirement benefits and basic life insurance. Other voluntary benefits are also available such as legal assistance, pet insurance, and long-term care. Faculty are also eligible for paid professional development leaves and stipends for educational and professional development.For information on our benefits package that includes medical for employees and dependents, visit our web site: http://hr.fhda.edu/benefits/index.html TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Full-time, Tenure-track, 10-months per yearSTARTING DATE: Winter 2020Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Employment Services no later than the closing date of the announcement.The successful applicant will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the U.S.The Foothill-De Anza Community College District does not reimburse applicants for travel, lodging or any other costs incurred by applicant to attend interviews. All interviewing costs incurred will be the responsibility of the applicant. For more information about our application process contact:Employment ServicesFoothill-De Anza Community College District12345 El Monte RoadLos Altos Hills, California 94022(650) 949-6217Email: [email protected]http://hr.fhda.edu/ This position will become Open Until Filled after the initial Closing Date. Any complete applications received while the position is Open Until Filled will be reviewed by the hiring committee only upon committee request.