Marketing Content Creator/Writer #604506
Job Title: Marketing Content Creator/Writer
Location: Marketing Department
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 604506
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU’s culture of excellence.
Reporting to Writing and Editing Manager, this position will be located in the University Marketing department. This role requires development of written content for the NAU website and collaborates with units across the institution on relevant, appealing content for implementation of marketing plans. The ideal candidate for this position is experienced in professional writing for digital marketing and possesses excellent writing and editing skills.
The content creator is responsible for:
- Developing high-quality marketing content for NAU web pages, other digital media, and digital marketing campaigns to support the university’s strategic marketing and communication goals
- Applying sophisticated digital media skills to web content publishing
- Ensuring web content is communicated consistently through the NAU brand voice and style following the brand guidelines
- Using data to inform best practices in marketing communications, including testing message effectiveness, analyzing campaigns, and translating anecdotal or qualitative data into recommendations and plans for creating and revising digital communication approach
and the content.
- Managing marketing content projects as assigned
- Assisting in development and coordination of marketing research analysis and results and contributing to development of long-range marketing plans
- Contributing as a team member to advance the priorities of the unit and university
NAU is currently engaged in an Organizational Growth and Effectiveness Initiative, which focuses on positioning the University for future success of its operational practices. As a result, some aspects of this position may be subject to change, such as, but not limited to: duties, titles, reporting structure, etc.
- Bachelor's degree in marketing or communications AND five years of experience in written content creation for digital platforms at various scales; OR
- Bachelor's degree in English AND five years of experience in digital marketing and communication content creation; OR
- Any equivalent combination experience, training and/or education.
- Demonstrate experience and extensive knowledge in web content development for marketing purpose
- Ability to create editorial content that is optimized for digital communication
- Strong background in writing and editing
- Proficiency in WordPress
- Well versed in the conventions of AP and The Chicago Manual of Style
- One to three years' experience in higher education marketing, admissions/enrollment or web development
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of best practices in marketing and digital communications
- Demonstrated professional writing skills and the ability to adapt style to a variety of topics and situations
- Superior editing skills: excellent grammar, spelling, and proof-reading skills
- Ability to work efficiently with faculty, staff, higher education leadership, and other constituents
- Demonstrated ability to translate academic content to non-academic audiences
- A demonstrated understanding of the culture, structure, and principles of institutions of higher education
- Commitment to providing excellent customer service and desire to support the success of our students.
- Ability to manage multiple small projects simultaneously with large project obligations
- Strong interpersonal skills, the ability to communicate effectively in written, oral, and digital formats
- Demonstrated project management skills and experience working with project management systems
- Critical thinking skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Adobe products
- Familiarity with visual communication principles and experience working with graphic designers, photographers, and videographers
- The ability to work effectively with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, an employment history verification and a degree verification (in some cases) prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a fingerprint background check.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
Finally, each year the Northern Arizona University Police Department releases an annual security report. The report is a result of the federal law known as the Clery Act and contains policy statements that address the school’s policies, procedures and programs concerning safety and security including policies for responding to emergency situations and sexual offenses. The report contains three years of data for Clery reportable crime statistics for the campus along with the most current year’s Fire Safety Report, which includes policy statements and fire statistics for Flagstaff on-campus student housing.
The report may be viewed at nau.edu/clery or by visiting the NAUPD website. A printed copy of the report is available upon request by contacting the NAU Police Department, Records Department at (928)523-8884 or by visiting the department at Building 98A on the NAU Mountain Campus.
Commensurate with experience.
**The starting salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected applicant balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Service Professional (SPF) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System or the Optional Retirement Program; 22 days of vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available at https://in.nau.edu/human-resources/eligibility-enrollment/
NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus.
Service Professionals are hired on a contract basis, renewable each 6 months according to terms of the Conditions of Professional Service, which may be found at: https://public.azregents.edu/Policy%20Manual/6-303%20Conditions%20of%20Service%20for%20Service%20Professionals.pdf
Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. If a new employee chooses the ASRS retirement option, participation in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, will begin on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date. New employees who choose to participate in the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP), which is an alternative to the ASRS plan for faculty and other appointed staff, will begin to participate on the first day of employment. Additionally, the long-term disability plan that accompanies the ORP will begin on the first day of employment. More information is available at: https://in.nau.edu/human-resources/eligibility-enrollment/
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days (https://in.nau.edu/Human-Resources/Required/). If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
Open until further notice.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on line at https://in.nau.edu/human-resources/ or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.