Academic Advisor & Coordinator of ZJUI Programs - Engineering Administration (118696)
Academic Advisor & Coordinator of ZJUI Programs
College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The College of Engineering seeks applicants for the position of Academic Advisor & Coordinator of Zhejiang University-University of Illinois Joint Institute (ZJUI) Programs. Reporting to the Director of International Programs in Engineering (IPENG), this position will advise and coordinate study abroad programs in Asia and Australia for undergraduate engineering students with a focus on the Zhejiang University-University of Illinois Joint Institute in Haining, China.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Advise incoming semester ZJUI students regarding the application process, requirement, including but not limited to, maintaining progress towards an on-time graduation, course selection/equivalencies, and application guidelines.
- Advise students on program requirements, overseas courses and applications, cross-cultural communications, travel planning and logistics, and personal concerns.
- Maintain accurate student records and prepare reports for areas of responsibility.
- Hold walk-in advising hours and consult with individual students or groups by which appointment in the IPENG Office. Respond to inquiries by email, phone and through in person advising sessions.
- Contribute to overall program marketing, recruitment and outreach initiatives through events, social media and presentations.
- Promote intercultural learning and student development by collaborating with LAS 291/292 course staff in the development and delivery of study abroad pre-departure and re-entry programs as it relates to Asia and Australia.
- Develop and revise informational materials, website, resources, handbooks, and other content.
- Work some evening and weekend hours to meet the event needs of the student population in the program.
- Work with other members of the IPENG to help-out with other cross-functional activities as needed.
- Collaborate with Illinois Engineering faculty in the departments of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE), Mechanical Science and Engineering (MechSE), and Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE), to coordinate the list of required and technical courses available each semester and help manage incoming ZJUI student enrollment in these courses.
- Coordinate with ZJUI program administrators each semester for course information, application processes for outbound Illinois Engineering students studying abroad at ZJUI for a semester.
- Plan, develop, and implement recruiting strategies and events to encourage Illinois Engineering students to study abroad at ZJUI.
- Coordinate both incoming and outbound orientations for ZJUI and Illinois Engineering students.
- Manage applications for incoming exchange students from ZJUI and the Illinois Admission process.
- Create and facilitate arrival orientation programming to acclimate foreign exchange students to Illinois and the College of Engineering.
- In collaboration with the IPENG Director, maintain exchange balance for ZJUI.
- Oversee the Engineering Abroad Alumni Network for returning students including the International Buddy Program.
- Plan and administer events and activities geared towards helping students “unpack” their international experiences.
- Liaise with colleagues across the university to best leverage resources and initiatives in re-entry programming.
- Develop and implement new initiatives based upon student feedback and program assessments to improve the services and experiences offered to both incoming and outgoing exchange students.
- Keep current in the field standards and maintain knowledge of best practices.
- Assume other related advising or international programs duties to further the mission of the IPENG office.
- Master’s degree in international education or a related field.
- Two years of professional-level work experience, preferably with college students.
- Experience living/working/studying abroad, preferably in China.
- Exceptional and demonstrable customer service skills.
- Effective communication and public speaking skills.
- Ability to work on several projects simultaneously and prioritize tasks as well as exercise good judgement and problem solving skills.
- Commitment to creating diverse, equitable, and inclusive experiences in a student-centered environment.
- Flexible and willing to work collaboratively as part of a team in a fast-paced student-centered environment.
- Strong computing and technology skills which include working with and learning new software and web-based application systems.
- Occasional travel and irregular hours (some evenings and weekends) may be required.
- Two years of experience providing academic support in a higher education setting.
- Experience with advising for international programs.
- Familiarity with higher education systems.
- Experience working with incoming international students.
- Experience with a variety of social media platforms.
- Experience using Terra Dotta Systems/Studio Abroad Software.
- Knowledge of Mandarin.
The Academic Advisor & Coordinator of ZJUI Programs position is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the full-consideration date. Applicants may be interviewed before the full-consideration date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by August 6, 2019. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Thurman Etchison, [email protected], 217-300-2193.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
College Name or Administrative Unit:Engineering Category:5-Education and Student Services Title:Academic Advisor & Coordinator of ZJUI Programs - Engineering Administration (118696) Open Date:07/23/2019 Organization Name:Engineering Administration