Support Professional Business Department - External
Job Title: Support Professional Business Department - External
Location: GRCC Main Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 998
***EXTERNAL POSTING- OPEN TO ANY QUALIFIED CANDIDATE***
Date: October 8, 2019
Position Title: APSS Support Professional- Business Department
Position Number: 998
Hours Per Week: 36 Hours/52 weeks
Salary Schedule: APSS- Level B, $17.08
Reports to: Department Head, Business Department
Posting closes: October 22, 2019
The Meijer Center for Business is seeking an innovative and ambitious Support Professional to manage the front office of a large department. Provide secretarial and office support for students, department faculty and department head and administration, utilizing outstanding judgment while maintaining the highest levels of confidentiality and ethical standards.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Operate an efficient office and serve as a highly professional representative for the Business department and GRCC.Act as a liaison for students and visitors with faculty and staff including, but not limited to: posting notices of faculty emergencies or other messages in a timely fashion; printing transcripts, schedules, and other documents from the Campus Wide Information System (CWIS). Refer questions to the appropriate department.Respond to all phone calls and messages, emails and surface mail accurately and in a timely manner. Assist with updating various departmental, public, or internal documents including but not limited to brochures, handbooks, departmental policies and/or practices.Maintain accurate records, files, and office activities in strict confidence. Maintain and secure inventory of classroom instructional support materials, including videos, etc. Type or otherwise prepare a variety of letters, memos, forms, and reports. Assist in compiling data from a variety of sources and create accurate summary reports as requested or required.Work with the department head to arrange departmental and advisory committee meetings. Prepare and archive meeting materials as requested. Take effective and accurate meeting minutes. Disseminate materials in a timely manner. Process requests from faculty for bulk copying.Update departmental mailboxes and email group each semester.Update website pages: full-time faculty, adjunct faculty, office hours, etc., each semester.Coordinate maintenance of office machines.Assist new or current faculty, staff, and student workers with questions or concerns related to office equipment including computers, software, keys, college identification, telephone system, snail mail, and e-mail.Replenish office supplies, including Scantron sheets, via online account with Office Depot, to maintain adequate inventory.Work with faculty to complete all textbook adoptions through the GRCC Bookstore online adoption process, being cognizant of adoption deadlines. Work closely with vendors and faculty to order all texts and instructional supplies.Order “desk copies” as requested and distribute.Calculate order, ensure adequate inventory supply, and monitor usage.Gather and maintain course syllabi for all Business faculty each semester and provide to Dean as requested. Update departmental bulletin boards, message boards, and display cases.Assist the department head with planning special departmental events.Assist with the hiring of student employees. Train and supervise, and process payroll for student employees. Prioritize work effectively to ensure that tasks are completed within assigned deadlines.Other duties as assigned by Business Department Head.Regular attendance during normal scheduled hours is required. Being present is essential for serving customers and performing the essential functions of this position.
Marginal Job Functions
- Complete annual chemical inventory via computer.Schedule rooms for department meetings, order refreshments and equipment.Assist with any special projects as needed.
- Associate’s degree required National Career Readiness Certificate (NCRC) preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years of secretarial or administrative assisting experience.
- Proficient computer skills in CWIS, Microsoft Office (MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint), My Degree Path, Drupal and GroupWise.Excellent written and oral communication skills.Ability to work effectively with diverse populations.Ability to work under pressure. Possess mature judgment and be flexible in regards to interruptions. Demonstrated initiative and problem-solving abilities.Ability to perform daily routine and unexpected duties with minimum supervision.Ability to work in high traffic area.Must be able to work in a busy office environment with frequent interruptions.Finalists will be required to complete an office testing module and meet minimum standards, plus possess excellent proofreading skills and have aptitude for detail work. An in-basket assignment may be required.
- Must possess a positive attitude and outlook.Must be enthusiastic.Must use good judgment in handling sensitive or difficult situations.Ability to resolve conflicts at lowest possible level.
- Ability to lift and move up to 20 pounds
METHOD OF APPLICATION
To apply for this position, please visit our website at GRCC Job Opportunities Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position. Submit a cover letter and resume in one document. The opportunity to apply for this position will close on October 22, 2019 at 11:59 PM ET. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.