Courseware Instructional Designer
Job location: Van Pelt Library
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-07-15
University OverviewThe University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.Posted Job TitleCourseware Instructional DesignerJob Profile TitleTraining SpecialistJob Description SummaryPenn Libraries seek a highly motivated, creative Instructional Designer to serve as a member of the Courseware Support Team in the Teaching, Research, and Learning Services directorate. Reporting to the Courseware Manager, the Courseware Instructional Designer will work closely with library and campus educational technology and IT colleagues to promote teaching and learning with the Canvas platform based on sound learning theory, practice, and principles. The ideal candidate will possess professional experience designing online courses, teaching, and producing digital media. S/he will develop instructional materials and workshops, provide support for faculty, instructors, and staff; and will promote the use of Canvas and related technologies among schools and centers. S/he collaborates with colleagues across campus to leverage Canvas as well as evaluate and contribute to other emergent educational technology initiatives on campus.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Designs, develops publishes, and provides educational training materials and courses that promote teaching and learning with the Canvas platform based on sound learning theory, practice, and principles.
• Helps faculty translate learning objectives and functional specifications into detailed, interactive learning activities in Canvas.
• Provides functional and technical courseware support including help tickets, phone requests, and walk-in assistance.
• Researches and test new courseware functionality and third party integration.
• Serves as a courseware representative on library and campus-wide committees.
Qualifications: Bachelor's Degree in Instructional Design, Educational Technology, Library/Information Science (or related field) and 1 to 2 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience. Masters' degree preferred.
- Demonstrated experience supporting or teaching with educational technology within a college or university setting.
- Demonstrated experience designing instruction, curricula, media, workshops and help documentation.
- The ability to work both independently and collegially, and to collaborate effectively
- Demonstrated initiative and commitment to proactive, courteous service.
- Effective oral and written communication skills, and group presentation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.Special Requirements
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.