Front End Developer
The Front-End Developer primary responsibilities revolve around supporting, developing and enhancing Bucknell's digital presence (public website, intranet, blogs, mobile applications, third-party software), with a particular emphasis on prospective student and alumni engagement. This position reports to the Associate Director of Web & Digital Communications and is part of the Division of Communications. The Front-End Developer works with the latest web technologies and software development processes to meet the growing complex information needs of the University. This hands-on position works collaboratively with the communications team and campus community, as well as independently, and serves as a front-end developer with the digital communications team in areas of analysis, design, modification and maintenance of web applications and integrated systems.
o Serve as a project manager and liaison with campus partners who have responsibility for providing or creating content for departmental web pages.
o Provide web content management guidance, training and expertise for University's content liaisons.
o Ensure that University visual identity design and branding standards are upheld.
o Participate in decisions concerning the design and architecture of Bucknell's websites.
o Create design documents, mock-ups and proof of concept systems for new web features.
o Establish and manage multiple projects simultaneously using a project management system. Create project schedules and ensure that milestones and deadlines are consistently achieved.
Email & Communication
o Coordinate, test and produce targeted email campaigns for constituencies across the University, incorporating industry-related best practices to create messages that display well and are responsive across all common email clients.
Browser & Compatibility
o Resolve browser compatibility issues and front-end bugs, and design responsive and mobile-friendly user interface.
o Ensure cross-browser, cross-platform and cross-device compatibility, as well as methods for degrading for older browsers and displays.
Content Management Systems
o Create, edit and enhance web content using a Content Management System (CMS).
o Manage front end development and maintenance of Bucknell's content management systems. This includes, but not limited to, system design, user experience and accessibility.
Coding & Development
o Build and maintain responsive websites and mobile-first structure.
o Assist campus partners with web-related requests requiring technical support such as editing HTML/CSS, consultations on web products, and all web-related requests.
o Participate in all phases of the software development life cycle.
o Participate in assigned projects to include, but not limited to, the migration of departmental sites and application systems.
o Perform quality assurance testing and debugging.
o Uphold University styles and best practices when creating content, writing for the web, and when using grammar, spelling, links, images and design.
Security & Performance
o Develop strategies for ongoing improvement and optimization of website load speed and site performance.
o Uphold file compression techniques for improving website performance and user experience.
o Manage and maintain high-quality, secure, standards-compliant websites and digital experiences.
Support high-level university goals and initiatives related, but not limited, to Bucknell's communications and marketing strategy and admissions, alumni relations and campaign goals.
Develop and maintain strong collaborative working relationships with other members of the Digital Communications Team, the Division of Communications and essential Library & Information Technology (L&IT) staff.
Contribute to a work environment that encourages understanding of, respect for and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
Maintain, respect and protect the confidentiality of information held within, or transferred across, the University's computer and communication resources in any format.
Perform other responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree and directly related professional experience or, in lieu of education, four years of directly related work experience.
- Working knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite.
- Experience with digital content management system.
- Basic understanding of design aesthetics and usability principles.
- Demonstrated ability to build responsive websites and mobile-first structure.
- Knowledge of modern coding standards and best practices.
- Strong attention to detail; and demonstrated organizational, time-management and multi-tasking skills with the ability to handle multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Proficient with modern web standards, including HTML and CSS and the ability to write code that performs consistently across all common web browsers and degrades gracefully in legacy browsers.
- Experience with Google Analytics or a comparative analysis and reporting system.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to convey technical concepts to non-technical colleagues.
- Expert knowledge in browser compatibilities issues; responsive and mobile-first design concept; and best practices in front end design and implementation.
- Evidence of being a collaborative team member.
- Ability to quickly learn new systems and software and demonstrate initiative to learn new skills and stay current in the profession.
- Customer service experience and focus.
- Bachelor's degree in information technology, computer science, communication or a related field.
- A working knowledge using code versioning systems such as GIT or SVN.
- Experience in consuming web service APIs.
- Local development experience using MAMP or WAMP.
- Experience with quality assurance testing, testing and debugging.
- Mysql database backup and restoration into a local development environment.
- Experience with large enterprise-wide websites over 5,000 pages.
- Experience with Drupal and Wordpress content management system.
- Understanding of best practices when writing for the web, search engine optimization and search engine marketing.
- Previous experience in higher education.
- Experience managing, customizing and strategizing about the technical implementation and alignment of social media/networking outlets to analytics.
- Experience in application development methodologies, including documenting data flows, user workflows, understanding back-end APIs and building functional prototypes.
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 50 majors and 60 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell's 3,600 undergraduate and 100 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors.
Bucknell's beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its students. Residential life is vibrant with about 150 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletic teams, a robust arts culture, and a strong student commitment to community and global service work.
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and we seek candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Located in central Pennsylvania, Lewisburg features a variety of restaurants, beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), charming shops and boutiques, and the Barnes and Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. About 33,000 residents live in the region.
The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University's main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania's state capital. Bucknell is about three hours from New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
The cost of living here is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell's surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and many opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School is consistently ranked among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.
Advertised: 22 Jul 2019 Eastern Daylight Time