Director of the Center for Equity and Cultural Wealth
Department: Behavioral, Social Sciences & Global Learning
Locations: Boston, MA
Posted: Jul 23, 2019
Ref No.: NUP
About Bunker Hill Community College:
Bunker Hill Community College is a multi-campus institution with vibrant, urban campuses in Boston, Massachusetts, in nearby Chelsea, Massachusetts, and at three satellite locations in the Greater Boston area. Founded in 1973, BHCC is the largest of the 15 community colleges in Massachusetts, serving some 18,000 students annually across all modes of instruction. The College offers certificates and associate degrees, early college and dual enrollment, non-credit community and corporate training, and industry specific training programs. The College is the 8th most diverse higher education institution in the United States, and is a Hispanic and Asian American and Pacific Islander Serving Institution. Approximately 900 International Students attend from 107 countries, speaking 75 languages.
BHCC is a progressive institution guided by five goals: to Foster Student Success, Strengthen Career, Transfer and Workforce Readiness, Advance Diversity, Inclusion and Equity and Develop the College's Infrastructure. The College is committed to a learning community teaching/learning environment and, as an Achieving the Dream institution, is focused on data-driven student success.
LIVING IN BOSTON:
Boston prides itself on being one of the most livable cities in America with twenty-one diverse neighborhoods offering exceptional medical facilities, vibrant neighborhood business districts, museums, galleries and an extensive network of parks and outdoor recreational areas. Unemployment consistently tracks lower than the national average and job growth in 2014 and 2015 were ahead of projections. Eighty-plus colleges and a quarter of a million college students in the area make Boston one of the country's "youngest major metropolis," according to Boston magazine. Suburbs outside of Boston offer affordable housing options with easy access to public transportation.
The CECW is dedicated to creating equitable and culturally inclusive learning environments that value the strengths of our diverse students, faculty, staff and local communities. Through scholarship, practice and advocacy, the Center explores the ways in which meaningful community partnerships, equity-minded practices and culturally-grounded pedagogies can be enacted to foster the success of all students and members of the College community. Under the direction of the Dean of Behavioral, Social Sciences and Global Learning, the Director of the Center for Equity and Cultural Wealth (CECW) will be responsible for providing leadership, strategic direction, overall coordination, and resource management for the CECW. The Director of the CECW is part of a team of educational leaders who understand the principles of excellence in management, practices of visionary leadership, and who are committed to innovative approaches to achieve equity and social justice.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops and monitors the strategic vision, mission and goals for the CECW in collaboration with the CECW Steering Committee.
- Engages a broad base of committed and knowledgeable collaborators, including the CECW Steering Committee, faculty, staff, administrators, students and community partners.
- Manages the development, implementation and assessment of the CECW Institute and additional professional development activities throughout the year, including developing and marketing professional development for audiences outside of higher education.
- Maintains and disseminates current knowledge of research and practice related to equity and cultural wealth.
- Works in partnership with the CECW Steering Committee to establish the CECW research agenda, and oversees dissemination of CECW research and findings.
- Serves as official representative of the CECW and the point of contact for internal and external audiences.
- Collaborates with the Chief Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Officer and the Director of College Events and Planning to integrate the CECW into College events and initiatives.
- Works closely with relevant stakeholders to develop promotional and informative print and web-based materials to establish the CECW brand and publicize CECW programs.
- Identifies appropriate external resources to build capacity in developing and sustaining of the CECW, and works closely with the Executive Director of Grants in the development, submission and administration of grants.
- Submits proposed annual budget and regular financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the CECW.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Dean of Behavioral, Social Sciences and Global Learning.
- Master's degree in higher education, sociology, social justice leadership, ethnic studies, gender studies, or related field.
- A minimum of three years relevant project management, supervisory and/or leadership experience in higher education
- Higher education teaching experience
- Proven track record of planning and executing large-scale projects and initiatives, including ability to budget, delegate, multi-task, and meet deadlines
- Experience designing, offering and assessing professional development activities
- Superior interpersonal skills, including oral and written communication
- Proven ability to participate meaningfully in inclusive work environments
- Proven ability to collaborate across departments and create sustainable relationships with internal and external constituencies
- PhD in higher education, sociology, social justice leadership, ethnic studies, gender studies, or related field.
- Community college work or teaching experience
- Formal training in equity and inclusion and/or mediation
- Fluency in multiple languages
Salary Range: $80,000.00-$90,000.00
Review Date: To Ensure Consideration All Application Materials Must Be Received By August 15, 2019.
To be considered for this position please upload the following documents to your account:
- Cover Letter
- A Copy of your Unofficial Transcripts
Please be sure to address the Required Qualifications in your documents.
If you need assistance applying through this website please contact our online Help Desk HERE