Reports to the Coordinator of Member Services. This position is responsible for providing exceptional customer service in the execution of daily operations that address the expectations and needs of members and guests.The Member Services Assistant is responsible for membership sales by providing in-person, email, and phone customer service.
• Conducts prompt follow-up with members and guests from voicemails,emails, and direct inquiries.
• Manage membership soft ware, including but not limited to selling and cancelling memberships, enrolling in programs, and group fitness class registration.
• Promote a member-focused culture and model relationship-building in all inte ractions.
• Resolve problems to ensure member satisfaction.
• Perform data entry.
• Deliver quality customer service in every facet of patron interaction.
• Follow policies and procedures set forth by Duke Recreation & Physical Education.
• Enforce facility policies.
• Provide facility tours to current and prospective members, and guests.
• Respond to Member inquiries in facilities as they arise.
• Be knowledgeable about all program areas within Duke Recreation & Physical,including but not limited to Aquatics, Fitness & Wellness, Outdoor Adventures, Intramurals, and Sport Clubs.
• Maintain clean work space.
• Assist Facility Monitor and Front Desk Attendant as needed.
• Attend events/functions for membership recruitment as needed.
• Performs additional work-related duties as assigned.
Supervised by the Coordinator of Member Services. Day-to-day functions are accomplished with minimal guidance or supervision in accordance with established policies and directives.Overall guidance is accomplished through supervisory conferences.
Level of Public Contact
Responsible for contact with students, faculty, staff, alumni,retirees, visiting scholars, their families and gue sts of the University who are interested in the Recreation Centers.
Statement of Responsibility for Confidential Data
Collects and secures confidential information regarding students,faculty, staff, alumni, retirees visiting scholars, family, and guests.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Excellent oral and written communication skills. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Products. Ability to communicate with diverse populations. Demonstrated understanding and strong commitment to customer service orientation. Ability to maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a manner that fosters good relationships. This includes, but is not limi ted to, such actions as: resolution of conflicts in a professional manner; courteous treatment of all individuals in the recreation centers; respect of others’ property and person; and professional and appropriate communication to and about, co-workers and supervisors. Utilize good judgement; reliability; initiative and resourcefulness. Shares the responsibility of the mission, strategic planning, and goals of Recreation & Physical Education.
Work requires a knowledge of basic grammar and mathematical principles to perform routine clerical/office support duties normally acquired through a high school education.Experience
None required above minimum education/training requirement. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Previous customer service experience. Must possess a valid driver’s license. Must have CPR, FirstAid, and AED certification or be able to obtain within two months of employment. Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
Bachelor’s degree. Previous experience in recreation.
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.