IT Help Desk Specialist
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-08-05
University of Virginia Facilities Management is seeking a Help Desk Specialist to provide assistance to end users relating to computer hardware/software, smartphone/tablet support, and/or networking problems. The incumbent will work with technical staff or vendors to solve problems and provide excellent customer service to Facilities Management employees. This a Non-Exempt level, benefited position.
- Provide technical support to the university community to resolve first and second tier desktop software, hardware and communications issues in an efficient and timely manner.
- Accurately document request history.
- Triage and route advanced second and third tier requests to the appropriate technical personnel.
- Provide timely resolution of problem or escalation on behalf of the user by maintaining strong working relationships with IT professionals in areas such as network services, software systems engineers, and application developers.
- Perform system upgrades and new system deployments when needed.
- Provide basic application and system training for users.
- Assist in the development of standard operating procedures and customer service guidelines.
- May assist with hardware and software evaluation.
- Follow proper procedures related to secure computing, account maintenance and purchasing.
- Maintain accurate documentation to support these efforts.
In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
A Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, MIS, Computer Engineering or a related field and at least one additional year of professional IT related work experience
OR An Associate's Degree with an additional 5 years of professional IT related working experience.
OR A High School diploma with an additional 9 years of professional IT related working experience.
At least one year of experience installing, repairing, and troubleshooting microcomputers with Windows and Mac devices is required.
Some experience with Windows 10 and Microsoft Office Suite 2016 and 0365; as well as experience with smartphones is highly preferred.
Anticipated Hiring Range: $40,000 - $50,000 commensurate with education and experience.
Facilities Management has an active environment that requires our technicians to walk or drive to various locations across UVA grounds.
Process for External Applicants: Please apply through Workday, and search for ‘R0007933'. Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, and address).
Process for Internal UVA Applicants: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs,” and search for requisition # R0007933. Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, and address). Please note that multiple documents can be uploaded in the box used for CV/Resume. Applications that do not contain all of the required documents will not receive full consideration.
The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment. This position will also require an Education Verification. (FSAKA)
For questions regarding the application process please contact Lauren Jackson, IT Recruiter at [email protected].The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System and the University Physician’s Group are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.