Career Development Specialist V
Career Development Specialist V
Job no: 492861
Position Type: Part-Time
Location: Elgin, IL
Experience Level: Mid-Level
Role: Career Development Specialist V
About ECC:Elgin Community College serves over 9,000 students at every stage of their educational journeys, including university transfer programs, career and technical education, continuing education classes, and adult basic education. As a community, we pride ourselves on nurturing a welcoming campus where every person—students, staff members, faculty members, and campus visitors—feels valued. The work of each ECC employee is central to the college’s mission, and as an employer, the college fosters a positive environment through professional challenges, excellent benefits, and opportunities for recognition and camaraderie.
Work Schedule:Must be willing to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the department.
Rate of Pay:$23.06
Provide career counseling to current and prospective students, alumni, and community members. Administer personality and ability assessments tests. Prepare and deliver presentations on career development and job search topics. Assist in the planning and development of new career services programs.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Master's degree (MA) or equivalent; or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Two years experience counseling individuals on career development and job search processes.
- Experience administering and interpreting career assessment instruments, specifically the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, Strong Interest Inventory and Self-Directed Search.
- Strong oral, written and presentation communication skills.
Desired Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Master’s degree in counseling, social services or human services.
- Counsel students, alumni and community members to identify and implement chosen career objectives. Provide individual assessment testing to assist participants in integrating career choices with various diverse personal challenges and concerns. Make referrals to external professional resources for assistance if necessary.
- Develop and deliver presentations on career planning and development, resume development and interviewing skills to ECC classes and community organizations.
- Coach students, alumni and community members on personalized job search strategies, including critique of resumes, cover letters, and mock interviews.
- Represent the Career Services division at college events; assist Career Services management in development of strategies to promote career counseling services.
- Serve on college committees to ensure course programming that provides career development education.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned which pertain to the job description.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule which includes days/evenings/weekends as needed by the department.
Sedentary (up to 10 lbs occasionally, sitting most of the time)
Close visual acuity (e.g. computer, assembly)
Typical office or administrative
Current SSECCA Union Member Information:
Elgin Community College Support Staff of Elgin Community College Association (SSECCA) members that apply by 07/29/2019 and meet the posted minimum qualifications will receive full consideration.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Elgin Community College does not discriminate, or tolerate discrimination, against any member of its community on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex/gender/gender identity, age, religion, disability, pregnancy, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law in matters of admissions, employment, or in any aspect of the educational programs or activities it offers.
In addition, Elgin Community College provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment practices, educational opportunities, and programs and services. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the College’s EEO/AA Officer. Determinations on request for a reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Advertised: July 18, 2019 Central Daylight Time