Open Rank Tenure-track/tenured faculty in American studies/ethnic studies
AMERICAN STUDIES/ETHNIC STUDIES. The University of Michigan’s Department of American Culture seeks qualified applicants for an open-rank tenure-track faculty appointment.
We seek a theoretically sophisticated and interdisciplinary scholar whose work is situated in American studies and/or critical ethnic studies, with interests in empire and militarization, settler colonialism, diasporic and transnational literatures, environmental humanities, and/or migration studies. The search will consider scholars whose work focuses on the U.S. as well as those who incorporate comparative and transnational frameworks in relation to the U.S. The ideal candidate will possess cross-cutting interests and could teach topical courses aligned with Native American and Indigenous studies, and/or Arab American studies.
This is a university-year appointment with an expected start date of September 1, 2020. A Ph.D. degree in any relevant field in the humanities or social sciences is required prior to appointment. Applicants must demonstrate evidence of excellence in teaching and research.
Applicants should submit a digital dossier via email to [email protected] under the subject line “AC Position” and attach each of the following components as a separate PDF file:
All applicants should provide:
• Cover letter addressed to “Chair, AC Search Committee”
• Curriculum Vitae
• Writing sample (limit to 25 pages)
• Statement of current and future research
• Statement of activities contributing to diversity, equity and inclusion. (limit to 2 pages)
• Statement of teaching philosophy and experience
• Evidence of teaching excellence (i.e., student evaluations of teaching, syllabi of courses taught, teaching awards)
• Sample syllabus for and/or a list of potential course offerings
• Untenured applicants - please provide three letters of recommendation, which should be sent to [email protected] directly from the signer’s (or credentialing service’s) institutional email address
• Tenured applicants - please provide names and contact information of suggested reviewers.
Application Deadline for full consideration is September 15, 2019, by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time.
Confirmation: Upon receipt of your application, you can expect an email acknowledgment with a request and instructions to submit a voluntary survey to the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts.
The University of Michigan is committed to fostering and maintaining a diverse work culture that respects the rights and dignity of each individual, without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, gender expression, height, weight, marital status, disability, medical condition, age, or veteran status. The University of Michigan is supportive of the needs of dual career couples and is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.