Institutional Research Strategist
Institutional Research Strategist
Department Accountability Office
Salary $49,000 - $54,000
This position is responsible for managing the day to day activities in gathering data, completing surveys, verifies and checks already-entered data, independently gathers and analyzes data, writes the Texas customer service report, produces data reports published on the Accountability website and sent to external constituencies, tracks the office deadlines calendar management including auditing and reconciling upcoming and current projects and completes department projects, etc. Oversees the institutional IDEA administration for student feedback.
Typical Duties/Job Duties
1. Plans and organizes work to ensure completion of tasks and functions in a timely manner, prior to all deadlines. Establishes office and records maintenance procedures ensuring adherence to records maintenance, confidentiality and other related University and departmental procedures.
2. Propose/initiate procedures and evaluate existing procedures to effect improved or additional methods for handling or reporting information.
3. Extensive contacts with concerned offices and departments all while effectively analyzing situations and developing suitable solutions.
4. Gathers and updates data from Banner and various ASU departments to complete tasks including but not limited to: completing and updating the Common Data Set and Mini Fact Book; updating the Institutional Peer List, the Texas Customer Service Report, IPEDS, and other such reports; and updates IDEA Comparison scores and follows the IDEA administrative time-line for completing, training, and processing evaluations.
5. Maintains consistent and accurate communication with the Director and Accountability Office as well as constituencies.
6. Assists the Director in monitoring changes, in a timely manner, and adhering to institutional, state, and/or federal rules and regulations.
7. Maintains files on current projects, surveys and forms, enters into the records system.
8. Responds to external survey requests by completing and/or assisting other departments in a timely manner, completes Accountability data for research surveys. Conducts routine research into data, verifying and/or forwarding information as appropriate.
9. Assists with THECB, LBB and IPEDS reports to insure correctness of information; brings questions or problems to the Director for instruction and or resolution.
10. Organizes data from ASU graduation survey and completes VSA-College Portrait in a timely manner and ensures that the VSA is correct.
11. Greets and maintains high levels of customer service addressing callers, students, parents, guests, coworkers, University personnel in a friendly, helpful, and professional manner.
12. Corresponds via email regarding departmental services and updates. Composes correspondence from personal knowledge of subject matter or from instructions.
13. Participates in training activities as required or desired.
14. Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of general office procedures and practices; Advanced knowledge and proficiency of word processing and spreadsheet applications and software i.e. ability to set up and complete mail-merge, document formatting and editing, apply spreadsheet formulas and set up spreadsheets; basic accounting; data entry and data gathering techniques, familiarity with SAS is beneficial;
• Ability to perform mathematical calculations; ability to organize and complete detailed tasks accurately and timely; ability to perform work requiring technical and analytical skills; ability to organize workflow and coordinate multiple details, projects, and priorities; ability maintain accurate records/logs; to work weekends and evenings as may be required.
• Be skilled in public contact and relations. Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of constituents both orally and in writing; working tactfully with administration, faculty, students and the general public;
• Must be able to work within a team building environment and self-managed work groups;
• Ability and willingness to pay attention to detail, organize, be proactive, think logically, work both independently and in groups, work with numbers, maintain confidentiality and follow policies and regulations.
Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative field preferred or experience and qualifications that stand in lieu of education; at least two years in an Institutional Research office or similar area dealing with numbers—and accompanying issues regarding accuracy, organization, and detail—and record of supporting multiple but very different projects simultaneously.
The following is not required; however is preferred. Knowledge and/or experience with data extraction tools SAS Enterprise guide, SQL, interactive analytic or dashboard of SAS, Microsoft, Tableau.
Requires prolonged period of sitting, occasional walking, and intermittent bending and standing; medium level of manual dexterity; occasional lifting up to 25-50 lbs.
Angelo State University is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to promoting and ensuring equal employment opportunity for all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Angelo State University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to employment opportunities for qualified individuals with disabilities. We are committed to ensuring that a qualified individual with a disability has the same rights and privileges in employment as non-disabled employees. If an accommodation is requested for the job application process, please contact our office at (325) 942-2168 or email us at [email protected]