Position DetailsPosition Information Vacancy TypeTemporaryIs Internal Transfer OnlyNoWorking TitleTemporary ChefSalary RangeAnticipated Hiring Range$17.00Position Number47CHEF00219Work ScheduleM-F 9 am - 6 pm subject to change due to business needs. Employees may need to work a rotating shift, including nights and weekends.Full Time Equivalent (FTE)1.00Department471501 - Dining and Catering OperationsDepartment NC State DiningJob City & StateRaleigh, NCEssential Job Duties
JOIN THE PACK!
NC State Dining offers opportunities for employment across our retail and hospitality units. We offer competitive pay, flexible schedules, and opportunity for learning, growth, and promotion. Dedicated and experienced dining professionals are available to provide on-the-job training and support to help you meet your full culinary potential.
We are seeking individuals to Join our Pack as a Temporary Chef. Successful candidates will work with chefs and co-workers in a high volume food service environment. This position will float to cover operational gaps in culinary supervision and support major catering events.
Essential Job Duties:
•Recipe testing and development
•Support Retail Operations
•Support Dining Hall units
•Support Catering Production
This is an hourly position with a 10-11 month assignment. There is a mandatory 32-day break at the end of 11 months. Excellent performance during this time may provide an opportunity to renew employment and/or advance.
Campus Enterprises is NC State’s lead division of retail and hospitality organizations — NC State Dining, NC State Stores, Trademark Licensing, Lonnie Poole Golf Course, NC State Student Centers (Witherspoon and Talley), Rave! Event Services and the Wolfpack One Card Services. Each unit shares a common goal: deliver quality and efficient services with dedicated financial support for student activity and scholarships.
NC State Dining is a department within the Campus Enterprises Division. NC State Dining provides campus-wide food service to students, staff, and faculty and the corporate partners on Centennial Campus. NC State Dining operates 14 dining areas, 7 convenience stores, campus concessions, a nutritional counseling service and catering department.Other Work/Responsibilities
• Ability to maintain Grade A sanitation rating of 95% or better.
• Be an ambassador for NC State Dining and the university as a whole.
• Work as a cohesive team member and play an integral part on creating a positive work environment.
• High School Diploma or equivalency. Demonstrated possession of the competencies necessary to perform the work will also be considered.
• At least 1 year of experience in a similar capacity.
• Outstanding customer service skills, including the ability to remain professional and respectful under pressure when dealing with difficult situations.
• Excellent communication skills to communicate effectively with supervisors, peers, and customers.
• This position requires standing for long periods of time, walking, bending, twisting, pulling and pushing. Because of the nature of a food service operation and working in a kitchen, you must be able to work in extremely hot and cold conditions.
• Must be able to lift up to 60 lb with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Culinary training and 1 year of culinary supervision and or multiple years of supervision in a kitchen environment supervising 5 or more people.
• Two years of experience working in a high volume production kitchen.
• One year of fine dining or upscale catering.
• ServSafe Certification.
• Restaurant and catering line experience.
• Knowledge of following recipe, food safety and operating food service equipment.
• Skilled at cooking methods, food presentation.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
Complete all required fields.
Include 2 positions that are relevant to the position.
**Important**If you are required to be registered by the Selective Service, please certify your compliance by your initials. If this question is not applicable to you, please type “N/A” along with your initials.Job Open Date02/18/2019Must Be Open Until
Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.05/31/2019Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoProposed Hire DateAA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- * If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have a high school diploma (or higher) and at least one year of experience?
- Did not complete high school, but have an equivalent combination of education and experience (i.e. 2 years of HS and 3 years of experience)
- * Do you have a culinary degree or have completed ACF (American Culinary Federation) training?
- * Describe your work experience in fine dining.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please describe your supervisory experience.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter