Research Associate - Horticultural Science
Posting DetailsPosting Information Vacancy TypeEHRA Non-FacultyIs Internal Transfer OnlyNoWorking TitleResearch Associate - Horticultural ScienceSalary RangeAnticipated Hiring RangeCommensurate with ExperiencePosition Number00107685Work ScheduleMonday - Friday / 8am - 5pm (some evenings and weekends required)Full Time Equivalent (FTE)1.00Department111501 - Horticultural ScienceDepartmentHorticultural ScienceJob City & StateRaleigh, NCPrimary Function of Organizational Unit
Our faculty, and students in Horticultural Science conduct cutting-edge research that increases the quality and variety of fruits, vegetables and ornamental plants available to consumers world-wide. Our work ensures the economic and environmental sustainability for horticulture across the state, the nation and the world.Essential Job Duties
The Research Associate will help conduct trials for the NCSU IR-4 Field Research Center. Trials may include field and greenhouse grown specialty crops. The Research Associate will collaborate with the national IR-4 program, University of Florida and other land grant universities. This position will be heavily involved in conducting magnitude-of-residue trials in specialty crops. GLP studies are conducted under strict guidelines dictated by the Environmental Protection Agency. Other research will include efficacy and crop safety trials conducted to help identify potential crop protectants for specialty crops. The incumbent will be responsible for every aspect of studies that will be conducted including being authors on reports, publications, and presenting results to growers and to grower related groups. The incumbent will also have co-responsibilities for maintaining the archives of IR-4 related data.Other Work/Responsibilities
The Research Associate will also plan, develop, and direct pesticide efficacy trials in certain specialty crops.
The incumbent will also need to travel off-site alone to observe research and must independently be able to travel from location to location without reliance on others or the advanced notice that is often required of alternative means of transportation.Minimum Education/Experience
- Relevant Bachelor’s degree with 4 years of independent research experience or a Master’s degree in an agricultural related field required.
Must have experience in:
- Pesticide application, word processing, presentation (Scientific Meetings, Grower Meetings) skills, statistical design and analysis, data collection, study planning, initiation and maintenance.
- Must be able to work independently, have excellent presentation skills and skills in accuracy and precision.
- Relevant Master’s degree in a agricultural related field with at least 3 years of experience.
- Training in an agricultural field.
- Experience conducting studies related to pest management in crops, pesticide application training, training and/or experience in data collection and management.
- Previous experience with federal Good Laboratory Practices as well as understanding and following Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- A valid drivers license is required for travel. NC drivers license required within 60 days of hire and must be maintained.
- A valid pesticide applicator’s license or the ability to obtain one within 60 days of hire is required.
Applicant required documents: Please attach a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references.Job Open Date07/16/2019Anticipated Closing DateIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoProposed Hire Date08/01/2019AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have a valid NC Driver's license or the ability to obtain one within 60 days of your start date?
- * Do you have, or will you have by the start date, a relevant Bachelor's degree with 4 years of independent research experience or a Master's degree in an agricultural related field?
- * Do you have a current, valid pesticide applicator's license or the ability to obtain one within 60 days of start date?
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Contact Information for References