Description* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical CampusOffice of Digital Education / Department of Instructional Design and Program DevelopmentInstructional DesignerPosition Number: 764652 Requisition Number: 16762 It is a transformational time at the University of Colorado and the Denver and Anschutz Medical Campuses are continuously strengthening their reputations as drivers of innovation, with Digital Education playing a key role in the future of the University. The Office of Digital Education reports to the Chancellors of the CU Denver and CU Anschutz Medical Campuses and was created in early 2018 to accelerate the growth of CU Online and digital education initiatives more broadly. The investment by the campuses in the Office of Digital Education (ODE), combined with recent commitments focused on online education by the University of Colorado Board of Regents, make this a rare and exciting opportunity. Position Summary:
Office of Digital Education has two openings for Instructional Designers. These full-time, University Staff (non-classified) positions strategically partners with university faculty and key stakeholders to design online courses, leading through their unique expertise in instructional design, collaborative consultation, and digital pedagogy. As part of the Office of Digital Education’s Online Design and Development team, the Instructional Designer will contribute to the strategic growth of digital education at CU Denver, the Anschutz Medical Campus, and CU South Denver. The Instructional Designer reports to the Director of Instructional Design and Program Development. This position does not have any supervision responsibilities.
Examples of Work Performed:
As a key member of ODE’s Department of Instructional Design and Program Development, the Instructional Designer will:
- Work one-on-one with faculty in the conceptual design of academic courses, including outcomes development, activity design, and cultivating intentional learning experiences
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with faculty partners and instructional staff across both campuses
- Prepare and present practitioner insights at local, national, and international conferences and/or online professional communities
- Design and deliver original Mastery Paths (suites of workshops and learning experiences) for faculty and instructional staff audiences
- Design academic online courses for academic programs through a partnership-focused model of instructional design
- Manage timelines and development schedules for multiple concurrent course designs, ensuring that courses are designed on time at the highest level of quality
- Update existing Online Skills Mastery (OSM) Electives—self-paced learning opportunities for faculty—and conceptualize and develop new electives
- Serve as an informal ambassador between ODE and campus faculty in individual schools and colleges across both campuses
- Explore trends, research, and new learning technologies from a design-centric perspective
- Advocate for student-centered teaching and design practices with a diverse range of faculty, instructional staff, and administrators
- Coach faculty in the implementation of the designs you develop in partnership
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of processes and collaboration within the Online Design and Development team
The hiring salary for this position has been established as $63,000-$68,000 and is commensurate with skills and experience.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
* Benefits: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefits. * Total Compensation Calculator: http://www.cu.edu/node/153125
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspxThe University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a master’s degree in education, educational technology, instructional design, academic technology, or related field of study or commensurate experience.
- 1-2 years experience in a teaching or instructional design-focused role and context
- Proficient in basic workplace and academic technologies, such as Slack, G Suite, an LMS (such as Canvas), and media development tools
- 1-2 years of experience as an instructional designer in higher education
- 1-2 years of experience in the design and delivery of professional development for educators and diverse audiences
- Experience collaborating with university faculty on instructional design projects and initiatives, such as course design and technology implementation
- Experience in consultative approaches to learning design with strong relationship management skills
- Experience with project planning and creative problem-solving
- Demonstrated excellence in written and oral communication skills
- Collegial team member with outstanding relationship skills and a collaborative perspective
- Familiarity with common models and processes of instructional design, theories of online learning, and student-centered pedagogy
- Experienced teacher in the areas of online instructional design and the purposeful integration of learning technologies into online teaching practice
- Strong project management skills, including the ability to focus on priorities, manage concurrent design projects, and set achievable timelines
- Active pursuit of knowledge related to trends, issues, and advancements in the field of instructional design for higher education
- Familiarity with common academic technologies such as Zoom (web conferencing), Canvas (learning management system), and Camtasia (media development)
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Denver
Posting Date: Jul 16, 2019
Unposting Date: Ongoing