Web Applications Developer - Office of Advancement
Web Applications Developer - Office of Advancement
Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation's capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitment to social justice. Our community is a tight knit group of remarkable individuals interested in intellectual inquiry and making a difference in the world.
The User Experience and Development Team creates digital products and tools that support Georgetown University's Office of Advancement (OA). As an in-house team of designers and developers, this team is uniquely positioned to deliver purpose-built solutions for a major higher education institution. These solutions connect Georgetown with alumni, donors, and friends, and expand the community of people and organizations interested in supporting Georgetown's strategic priorities. Digital products created and maintained by this team service multiple areas including online giving, special events, editorial content, and more.
The Web Applications Developer reports to the Director of Digital User Experience and is responsible for building and maintaining OA's web properties. This individual will work with members of the Design team on website styling and institutional visual identity, Digital Channel Team on web analytics, maintenance, and support of web products, and members of their own UX/dev team on technical specifications and implementation. This role serves as a solution architect, transforming visual and user experience design specifications to high quality code. This individual works autonomously once provided with project goals and specifications to realize completed web products. The Web Application Developer directs the work of other Development team members and/or contractors.
The Web Application Developer will have duties that include, but are not limited to the following:
- Translates designs and style guides provided by the UX and Design teams into functional websites, ensuring cross browser compatibility and performance primarily for WordPress themes and plugins.
- Builds reusable code libraries and templates for future use.
- Develops API integrations to existing applications, third-party, and open source services.
- Authors clear technical specifications and documentation.
- Uses Git to manage code versioning and work collaborative with Development team members.
- Reviews teammate code.
Web Platform and Infrastructure Maintenance, Management, and Operations
- Using vendor platform and tools, manages OA's network of cloud hosted websites to ensure security updates are installed in a timely manner, CMS software is up to date, and uptime is maintained.
- Manages deployments of code to production websites through dev/test/live environments.
- Troubleshoots website availability and security issues.
- Liaises with OA IT and UIS teams to ensure OA websites comply with University standards and to share best practices.
Project Management and Technical Planning
- Using project management software, tracks the status of Development team tasks and manages team bandwidth.
- Co-authors quarterly Development team updates, recapping work completed and upcoming projects tied to digital product roadmap.
- Translates website feature specifications into actionable development tasks that can be estimated and assigned to members of the Development team.
- Balances competing project priorities and manages a development task backlog to continuously complete tasks based on priority and team bandwidth.
Maintenance and Support of Platforms
- Collaborates with head of Digital Channel Strategy team on management of maintenance/support request queue.
- As-needed, provides documentation, training, and other support to CMS operators.
- Provides backstop to technical support for all OA-owned digital properties.
- Bachelor's Degree
- 4+ years of experience in web development
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of people
- Ability to simplify complex technology concepts and communicate those concepts to non-technical audiences
- An eye for the subtleties of graphic design ( such as color, typography, and spacing)
- Hyper-aware of digital interactions and design patterns and be curious to learn about new ones
- Ability to multi-task and juggle multiple, concurrent projects
- Strong time management skills
- Flexible with preference for collaboration
- Demonstrated ability to create Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 Level AA compliant websites
- WordPress platform expertise, including custom theme and plugin development; Gutenberg block development and experience with Advanced Custom Fields a big plus
- Knowledge of version control best practices and tools (e.g. Git and Github)
- Significant experience working with APIs and full CRUD integrations from XML and JSON endpoints
- Facility with design software: Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch, InVision
- Knowledge of cross-browser and cross-device complexities and the ability to create websites with feature parity across browsers, platforms, and screen sizes (mobile-first, responsive web design)
- Experience configuring Google Analytics/Tag Manager
- Experience building/maintaining/using a design system a plus (e.g. Pattern Lab/atomic design)
- Project management and/or technical build planning experience
- Knowledge of SEO best practices
- Knowledge of and experience working with cloud hosting platforms (eg Pantheon, Acquia, AWS) and their workflows a plus
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or [email protected].
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Georgetown University offers a wide variety of comprehensive and competitive benefits. Benefits packages include comprehensive health, dental and vision plans, disability and life insurance coverage, retirement savings programs, tuition assistance, voluntary insurance options (including group legal, accident, and critical illness), and much more. Whatever your need, the Office of Faculty and Staff Benefits will be standing by to support you. You can learn more about the benefits offered to eligible faculty and staff at https://benefits.georgetown.edu or view the online interactive benefits guide for more information.
To apply, visit https://georgetown.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Georgetown_Admin_Careers/job/2115-Wisconsin-Avenue/Web-Applications-Developer---Office-of-Advancement_JR07125
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency