Web Application Developer - Engineering IT Shared Services (115607)
Associate Web Application Developer or Web Application Developer
Engineering IT Shared Services
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Engineering IT Shared Services at the University of Illinois at Champaign Urbana is seeking applicants for the position of Associate Web Application Developer/Web Application Developer. Engineering IT Shared Services is the primary information technology services provider for Engineering at Illinois, serving the IT needs of more than 1,100 faculty and staff and over 10,000 students. The mission is to ensure that all faculty, students and staff in the College have easy and well-supported access to IT services that are second to none in support of their teaching, research, and learning. Engineering IT prides itself on a user-centric approach to IT, with emphasis on effectiveness, visibility and accountability. This is an excellent opportunity to join a dynamic team. More information about Engineering IT can be found at http://it.engineering.illinois.edu/about-us/.
Reporting to the Associate Director, Web, Applications, and Information Services, the Associate Web Application Developer or Web Application Developer is responsible for programming and maintaining web applications or sites within The Grainger College of Engineering web hosting infrastructure.
ASSOCIATE WEB APPLICATION DEVELOPER
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Enhance existing web applications or sites by developing new functionality through code.
- Develop applications or sites according to specifications provided by analyst and/or end-users that are approved by the associate director, manager or lead.
- Utilize database backend to read, write and store information via web interfaces.
- Improve performance of systems through commonly accepted and utilized practices.
- Solve problems under limited supervision.
- Meet straightforward deadlines.
- Respond to user requests for service in timely, polite, and professional manner.
- Document functionality of projects authored within an existing documentation framework.
- Write reports and summaries of work accomplished by submitting regular status reports required for billing.
- Partner with Engineering IT customer support staff to assist with application needs of the college.
- Work with Engineering IT and departmental staff to provide application support for their personal needs, which may occur outside of business hours.
Other duties as assigned
To be considered for this position, candidates must have:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Web Development, Information Systems or related field of study.
- One (1) year experience in computer programming or a related field, HTML/CSS experience, creating web-pages and general design.
- SQL database experience; writing queries to select, insert, update, and join data from multiple tables.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Programming or equivalent feild.
- One (1) to two (2) years in one of the following supported framework programming languages: PHP, Classic ASP, .NET1+ years MSSQL or MySQL and application or website development experience.
- Advanced application troubleshooting experience.
- Experience with requirements gathering and business process improvement.
- Familiarity with portal application model.
WEB APPLICATION DEVELOPER
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIESCode Development
- Recommend, identify and enhance new functionality through code and/or process to existing web applications or sites.Meet with customers to analyze business process and develop work case scenarios.Develop applications or sites according to specifications provided by analyst and/or end-users that are approved by associate director, manager or lead.Utilize database backend to read, write and store information via web interfaces.Improve performance of systems through commonly accepted and utilized practices.Research new technologies that could potentially enhance our hosting platforms and the applications or sites they host.Solve most problems independently, seeking assistance from subject experts where appropriate; identifies problems to be solved.Consistently meet straightforward deadlines.
- Respond to user requests for service in timely, polite, and professional manner.Document functionality of projects authored within an existing documentation frameworkWrite reports and summaries of work accomplished by submitting regular status reports required for billing.Keep user community well informed of IT issues and changes.
- Partner with Engineering IT customer support staff to assist with application needs of the college.Work with Engineering IT and departmental staff to provide application support for their personal needs, which may occur outside of business hours.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Web Development, Information Systems or related field of study.Three years' experience in general computer programming, or related field.Three years’ experience with HTML/CSS.Three years MSSQL or MySQL and application or website development experience. Three years in one of the following supported framework programming languages: PHP, Classic ASP, or .NET.SQL database experience including design, indexes, views and the creation of stored procedures.
Ideal candidates will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer programming or equivalent field.
- Three (3) years advanced application troubleshooting experience, experience with requirements gathering and business process improvement, and experience with portal application model. The ability to develop sophisticated web applications or sites which display information and/or collect user data stored in a relational database and allows manipulation of data by the user.Proven ability to troubleshoot issues with applications or sites through customer interaction and analysis of code.The ability and desire to work in a collaborative team environment. Knowledge of best practices for the web, including accessibility, usability standards, and standards complianceSQL database design skills; able to create tables, views, stored procedures and performance enhancement via indexes and other database.
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION
This is a full-time Civil Service Information Technology Technical Associate position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after August 6, 2019. The minimum salary for the Associate Web Application Developer is $57,600; the minimum salary for the regular-level Web Application Developer position is $69,100. Both are commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Applications must be received by August 6, 2019. Apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. If you have not applied before, you must create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu. If you already have a profile, you will be redirected to that existing profile via email notification. To complete the application process:
Step 1) Submit the Staff Vacancy Application.
Step 2) Submit the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms.
Step 3) Upload your cover letter, resume (months and years of employment must be included), and academic credentials (unofficial transcripts or diploma may be acceptable) and names/contact information for three references.
In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, contact Kelsey Krok at [email protected] For questions about the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
College Name or Administrative Unit:Engineering Category:8-Technical Title:Web Application Developer - Engineering IT Shared Services (115607) Open Date:07/16/2019 Close Date:08/06/2019 Organization Name:Engineering IT Shared Services
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.