Database Administrator #495893
Posting DetailsPosition Information Posting Number20111815Position TitleDatabase Administrator #495893FTE1.00Position TypeStaffDepartmentIT Enterprise Applications Position Summary Information Job Summary/Basic Function
The Database Administrator reports to the Manager for Database Administration as an integral member of the Database Services team and is skilled to install, configure, and maintain the Lamar University Enterprise Resource Planning application databases and their middleware. Provides technical knowledge in implementing policies for database security, high availability, and technological sustainability. Provides database services to technical and functional teams as per service requests.
-Implements processes/procedures necessary to maintain the databases and related systems used within the Ellucian ERP system and all related components.
-Implements standards and procedures for database administration tasks and security policies.
-Implements procedures necessary to save and recover databases from hardware and software failures. Monitors full and incremental database backups and responds to any alerts from the backup process. Assists in database recovery as directed.
-Assists with installation, configuration, patching/updating, performance tuning, and backups of ERP databases and application servers. Installs Oracle RDBMS Software and applies Quarterly Security Patches. Reviews patches and maintains patching schedule.
-Performs database and application monitoring to ensure databases run at peak performance; troubleshoots performance issues; submits service tickets to vendor support as needed.
-Installs Ellucian Banner upgrades and patches using Ellucian Solutions Manager (ESM) upgrade tool and manual scripts.
-Installs Weblogic server software and applies Quarterly Security Patches.
-Maintains knowledge of supported versions and product cycle timelines; performs upgrades utilizing Oracle database upgrade documentation to maintain compatibility for applications.
-Creates, loads, and manages databases and database objects needed by the implementation, development, testing, and training teams.
-Responds to, troubleshoots, and repairs issues with databases and associated applications including Banner.
-Implements the processes necessary to refresh or otherwise maintain sets of data for testing and development purposes and automates processes when possible.
-Supports data loading, migration, conversion, and scheduled job operations.
-Supports capacity planning utilizing monthly storage reports.
-Assists with managing database-level and application-level security and roles.
-Develops and/or maintains existing documentation.
-Performs other related duties as assigned.
-Alternate work schedules may be required to support projects and operations including after hours and weekends as needed. Requires periodic on-call.
Requires a demonstrated ability to establish congenial work relationships and to communicate effectively within department workgroup, throughout the university with professional or managerial staff, and with outside vendors. Work requires critical judgment and a high level of initiative to solve database related issues. Work requires attention to detail.
-Degree in Computer Science, Computer Technology, Information Science, or related.
-2 to 4 years of experience as Ellucian Banner DBA working with Higher Education.
-2 to 4 years of experience Oracle Enterprise RDBMS 12c and 11g.
-Experience with monitoring Oracle Enterprise Manager targets, alerts and backups.
-Experience with installation and configuration of WebLogic Application Server.
-Experience with Red Hat Linux 7 or similar enterprise UNIX systems.
-Experience with writing SQL and PLSQL and UNIX shell scripting.
-Experience with Oracle technologies like RMAN, DATAPUMP.
Lamar University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.Veteran's Preference Statement
Lamar University is proud to provide employment preference to veteran applicants in accordance with Texas 805 Government Code, Section 657.003.Preferred Qualifications
-Knowledge and experience with Ellucian Banner 9 Admin Pages and Self-Service Applications
-Knowledge of cloud technologies like AWS and S3
-Knowledge and experience with Oracle 12c Database, including RAC and ASM.
-Experience with Unix Shell Scripting, SQL, and PLSQL
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.SalaryCommensurateWork Hours Application Information Posting Date07/16/2019Close DateOpen Until FilledYesSpecial InstructionsPosting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you claiming Veteran's Preference in accordance with Texas Senate Bill 805, Section 657.003? PLEASE READ IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS: To be considered for Veteran's Preference, applicants must complete and email to [email protected] a Standard Form 15 located at https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf15.pdf to include the required documents per the instructions on the form. Emails MUST also include position titles and posting numbers for each and every position applied for. APPLICANTS WHO FAIL TO EMAIL ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS BEFORE A POSTING CLOSES WILL NOT BE AWARDED VETERAN'S PREFERENCE.
- * Please indicate the highest level of education that you have completed.
- * In what area(s) did you receive your degree(s).
(Open Ended Question)
- * The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) maintains a list of Institutions Whose Degrees are illegal to Use in Texas. You can search for your institution on the THECB website at: http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/index.cfm?objectid=3D2801D0-1C9F-11E8-BC500050560100A9. Copy and paste this link into a web browser in order to search under "Fraudulent or Substandard Institutions" for your college/university attended for your degree. Please check your answer BEFORE you submit your application. HR is not responsible for checking your answer nor resubmitting your application back into the pool if you do not answer this question correctly.As part of your educational qualifications for this position, are you claiming a degree from any of the institutions listed on the THECB website referenced above?
- Yes, my institution IS on this list & IS Not accredited.
- No, my institution is NOT on this list & IS accredited.
- * Please rate your knowledge and experience of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook).
- Beginner - Knowledge of MS Office Programs (Word & Excel)
- Intermediate - Knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, & PowerPoint)
- Moderate - Knowledge & Experience with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Access)
- Expert - Knowledge & Experience using MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook))
- * Please describe your experience with database management software.
(Open Ended Question)
- Letter of Interest
- Unofficial Transcript 1
- Unofficial Transcript 2