Senior DevOps Engineer
University Information Services (UIS) providestechnical services and enterprise applications to the University of Coloradocampuses and the Office of the President. UIS is committed to excellence incustomer service and technical expertise. Through the development of enterpriseapplications, UIS supports the University as a whole with systems used bystudents, faculty, human resources employees, finance employees, and others.
The Senior DevOps Engineer exists to apply engineering tools, support, and leadership to the areas of operations and infrastructure, specifically in the area of application and middleware administration and support. This position will serve as a senior technical expert in UIS in the installation, configuration, upgrade and day-to-day operational support of a variety of applications and middleware technologies. This includes Java EE/Application Servers (e.g., WebLogic, WebSphere, Tomcat), Cognos, Oracle SOA Suite/BPEL, Oracle Service Bus, Servlet containers (e.g., Resin and Tomcat).
This position designs, builds, and maintains technical environments, supports system rollouts, responds to and troubleshoots escalated operational issues while managing internal and external customer relationships This position informs and advises project managers and stakeholders about project plans and implementation, conducts technical analysis, and produces recommendations. This position is also charged with not only supporting daily operations of these applications, but must also work with the team to automate processes and procedures, create efficiencies, and provide quality business services to our clients and customers. This position reportsto the Director of Enterprise Cloud Services and is exempt from the State ofColorado Classified Staff system.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Apply methodologies for building and operating highly available, scalable application and services
- Evaluate, build and modify automation for deploying application and services
- Enforce operational scalability and availability of applications, patching, and monitoring of applications
- Configure applications for stability, security, and maintainability using technologies such as cloud, on premise, containerization, and DevOps principles
- Troubleshoot application issues in collaboration with application owners/managers and enterprise infrastructure staff
- Resolve outages, automate tooling to improve operations, and drive postmortems
- Serve as a senior technical architect and systems integrator for large complex systems and applications, including monitoring, orchestration, and automation
- Develop standards for configuration, documentation, and management
- Communicate and collaborate with application owners/managers, initiative leaders, and project leadership to clarify requirements, develop work plans, document, and lead technical architecture
- Providing direction and mentoring to others in a leading contributor role
- Coordinate with infrastructure, identity/access management, and other service providers in planning and eliminating maintenance windows, evaluating and working toward resolution of impacts on the application and authentication portfolio
- Knowledge of change control processes, Windows/UNIX/Linux administration, WebLogic administration
- Knowledge of Application and application administration on VMWare and containerized environments
- General knowledge of key infrastructure areas (Networking, SAN, Database, security, etc)
- Skilled in troubleshooting complex issues
- Ability to learn new applications or computer languages and being able to generalize best practices from other applications or languages for use in the environment
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to explain complex problems and discuss trade-offs of potential solutions
- Individually capable, while able to work successfully in a team environment on a daily basis
- Skilled in Java SE and EE tuning and administration including JMX/Jolokia
- Work is non-routine and complex, involving the application of advanced technical/business skills in DevOps
- Passionate about measurement, observability and early detection of issues
- Ability to be available on a 24/7 on-call rotation
- Skilled in finding and fixing critical, customer facing production issues
Who We Are:
System Administration, which also houses theOffice of the President, is located in the uptown neighborhood of Denver withan office in Broomfield and a few smaller offices located on the campuses.However, this position is located in Denver. Many of our departmentssupport the educational and research missions of the four University of Coloradocampuses. We provide diverse opportunities for professional development,innovation, and collaboration with talented staff and faculty.
The University of Colorado is committed torecruiting and supporting diversity and equality in education and employment.The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect,communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnicminorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans.
The salary range for this position is $96,000 - $106,000.
- Medical: Multiple plan options
- Dental: Multiple plan options
- Additional Insurance: Disability, Life, Vision and Wellness
- Retirement 401(a) Plan: Employer contributes 10% of your gross pay
- Paid Time Off: Accruals over the year
- Vacation Days: 22
- Sick Days: 15
- Holiday Days: 10
- Tuition Benefit: System employees have the benefit on all campuses
- ECO Pass: RTD Bus and light rail service
- Additional Perks & Programs: Click here to access a few more Perks and Programs.
Click here to access our Total Compensation Calculator to see what your total rewards could be at CU. This position is a University Staff position.
For more information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/.
- Bachelors’ degree from an accredited institution of higher education or equivalent professional experience. (The educational requirement may be subsitutued by professional experience oa a year for year basis).
- Five (5) years of experience in a 24x7 operational environment with on-call and production support responsibility
- Four (4) years’ experience in the following:
- Application engineering and automation technologies, based on enterprise architecture standards
- Deploying, maintaining, and securing enterprise applications
- Experience in industry standards for building services in IaaS/PaaS/Cloud environments
- Certifications or demonstrated experience in major cloud service providers (such as AWS, GCP, Azure, Oracle Cloud or other public cloud environments), Docker, a container orchestration platform like Kubernetes, and configuration management tools like Puppet and Ansible Tower/AWX
- Demonstrated experience in monitoring, alerting and logging frameworks, such as Elasticsearch ELK stack, Ichinga, and Grafana
- Understanding of the advantages of various production deployment strategies and running at scale
- Skilled in implementing or integrating with standards based Identity and Service Providers (e.g., OpenID Connect, SAML2)
- Ability to construct highly reliable and available applications using containerization or VM/AMI utilizing scripting such as Terraform
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Denver
Posting Date: Jul 16, 2019
Unposting Date: Ongoing