Student - Library Clerk
Posting DetailsPosition Information Posting Number20110809-2Job TitleStudent - Library ClerkPay Rate $9.45 per hourJob CategoryStudentDepartmentLIBRARY Position Summary Information Job Description Summary
Southwestern Michigan College is seeking a student Library Clerk for the Dowagiac Campus. The opening is for fall, but training will begin in August.
The student Library Clerk will assist the needs of students, faculty, and staff at the Information Hub. This position requires excellent customer service skills, effective and efficient communication skills, and computer literacy. The candidate must be energetic and eager to assist the library staff and patrons. The work schedule is approximately 10-20 hours per week, primarily mornings and afternoons. However, on occasion, evenings or weekends may be required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Understand and effectively communicate basic library policies and procedures.
• Provide circulation support through checking in and checking out library materials.
• Shelve materials.
• Perform mail runs and book drop pickups.
• Create book displays and signs.
• Answer the phone and transfer calls.
• Operate a cash register and multi-function printer.
• Direct patrons to appropriate collections and resources.
• Assist patrons with searching the library catalog.
• Answer basic reference questions.
• The duties listed in this job description are not all-inclusive, but a list of the major responsibilities. Additional duties not noted in the job description may be assigned by a supervisor.
• Excellent customer service and communication skills
• Computer literacy
• Very detail-oriented
• Ability to learn the complexities of the circulation and online catalog system, as well as the Library of Congress call number system
• Past library work and/or experience using office equipment.Other InformationSpecial Instructions to Applicants
You must be enrolled at the College on a full-time or part-time basis (minimum of 6 credit hours during fall and spring semesters and 3 credit hours during the summer semester); contact hours will not be used to meet the 6 credit hour minimum.
High-school students who are dual enrolled are eligible for student employment. You must also meet the credit hour requirement.
You must be enrolled or continuing your education with a four-year College partner, on the campus of SMC, and be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours and at least 1 SMC credit hour during the fall and spring semesters and 3 credit hours and at least 1 SMC credit hour during the summer semester.
All student employees must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 to be eligible for student employment.Physical Requirements
Must be able to complete the following with or without a reasonable accommodation:
1. The physical activity of this position.
A. Stooping. Bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist.
B. Crouching. Bending the body downward and forward by bending leg and spine.
C. Reaching. Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.
D. Standing. Particularly for sustained periods of time.
E. Walking. Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site to another.
F. Pushing. Using upper extremities to press against something with steady force in order to thrust forward, downward or outward.
G. Fingering. Picking, pinching, typing or otherwise working, primarily with fingers rather than with the whole hand as in handling.
H. Feeling. Perceiving attributes of objects, such as size, shape, temperature or texture by touching with skin, particularly that of fingertips.
I. Talking. Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word.
J. Hearing. Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, and to make the discriminations in sound.
K. Repetitive motion. Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
2. The physical requirements of this position.
Light work. Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
3. The visual acuity requirements including color, depth perception, and field vision.
The employee is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading.
4. The conditions the employee will be subject to in this position.
None. The employee is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.Close Date08/05/2019Quicklinkhttp://swmich.peopleadmin.com/postings/2831Reference Requests Reference Request Details Accept ReferencesYesMinimum Requests1Maximum Requests3Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- Optional Documents