Professor of Clinical
Job location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-08-21
If you are a current employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.
The University of Miami (UM) is considered among the top tier institutions of higher education in the U.S. for its academic excellence, superior medical care, and cutting-edge research. At the U, we are committed to attracting a talented workforce to support our common purpose of transforming lives through teaching, research, and service. Through our values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity and Teamwork (DIRECCT) we strive to create an environment where everyone contributes in making UM a great place to work. We are one of the largest private employers in Miami-Dade County; home to more than 13,400 faculty and staff from all over the world.
This position will direct, or associate-direct, one or more laboratory subspecialties of the University of Miami UHealth hospitals and clinics, or affiliated institutions. The position may include direction of lab operations at one or more UHealth regional clinics. Responsibilities will include all activities described by CUA for a licensed lab director, participation in the education of residents, fellows and laboratory staff, and pursuit of scholarly activities.
The initial faculty position will be as a Clinical Professor.
The applicant must have a formal education as an MD or DO, and should have Board Certification in Clinical Pathology or in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, and sufficient recent training and experience to share rotating on-call responsibilities in Transfusion Medicine.
List of Responsibilities
Review and approve modifications to laboratory procedures.
• Guide and approve quality assurance practices and proficiency tests
• Sign for all proficiency tests results and approve the remedy of any proficiency test failure.
• Hold regularly scheduled meetings with the supervisors of directed labs
• Oversee preparation for inspections by regulatory agencies,
• Monitor all phases of laboratory testing for tests directed.
• Monitor the utilization of tests performed in directed labs
• Provide skilled, informative interpretation of individual patient's test results, particularly those defined with professional components.
• Assist clinical providers with the understanding of tests and the interpretation of test results. Provide consultation to physicians regarding any questions arising from specific patient results.
• Periodically review the medical currency and adequacy of directed tests with an eye toward replacing, improving, or supplementing them with new tests.
• Add novel tests, directing all phases from justification through introduction.
• Periodically review the performance of current capital equipment considering replacing, upgrading or adding new equipment.
• Direct the installation, validation, and implementation of new capital equipment.
• Pursue examinations of reported lab errors including root cause analysis of any serious errors.
• Work with laboratory administrative staff to improve the efficiency, timeliness, quality, and economy of laboratory services.
• Work with Information Technology to assure accurate reporting and intelligent presentation of laboratory results
• Work with hospital and clinic administrators to assure there are sufficient and qualified lab personnel, adequate budgets for supplies, inventory, maintenance and other operational expenses.
• Work with hospital and clinic administrators to improve the pre-analytical phase of testing and testing's reporting phase.
• Work with hospital and clinic administrators, lab supervisors, and clinical pathologist colleagues on the evaluation of current capital equipment, and the selection of new or replacement capital equipment.
• Participate in Department and Hospital standing committees
• Participate in the educational program of residents, fellows and lab staff
All Applicants Must Apply OnlineThe University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.