Lifeguard (no benefits)
Posting DetailsPosition Information Job CategoryCasual WagePosition TitleLifeguard (no benefits)Full Time/Part TimePart TimeDivisionAthleticsDepartmentRecreation SportsDepartment StatementAccountabilities
-To supervise the activities of swimmers by enforcing rules and regulations.
-To warn swimmers of improper activities or hazards.
-To rescue persons in distress or in danger of drowning when indicated and provide rescue breathing, CPR and First Aid.
-To notify the NYS DOH of any accidents, rescues, or problems that have arisen.
-To check all safety equipment is working properly on a daily basis, and report to the Aquatic Manager any equipment that is in need of repair.
-To successfully and positively perform within work team dynamics.
- To be on time and capable of performing tasks within team dynamics.
- To supervise all patrons in and around the pool area.
-To answer inquiries pertaining to the use of the pool.
- To move lane lines as directed.
- To direct all helpful suggestions from participants and others to direct supervisor.
- To attend scheduled in-service training.
- To maintain attendance and activity record and complete required reports.
- To provide periodic supervision and custodial needs of locker rooms.
-To assist in cleaning and maintaining the pool and related areas and facilities.
- Requires knowledge of water hazards, lifesaving techniques and first aid, recognize hazardous situations, and adopt effective courses of action.
- Requires effective communication skills and the ability to engage positively with the public.
- Requires attentiveness to visual and audible cues for recognition and identification of swimmers in distress or in process of unsafe behaviors.
- Requires proficient swimming ability and the proper application of rescue and first-aid techniques.
- Requires current CPR/AED, First Aid & Lifeguard certifications.
- Must be capable of working collegially with a diverse group of faculty, staff and students within a university context.
- Requires ability to frequently sit, kneel, stand, stoop, communicate, reach and manipulate objects. The position requires mobility.Other Information Posting Detail Information Requisition Number2018CW006PTemporaryYesWork Schedule
Shifts may include: 5:45am – 7:30am, 11:30am – 1:00pm, 7:00pm – 9:00pm and weekend open swim from 11:45am – 3:00pm on both Saturdays and Sundays. Special event and additional swim practice shifts will also be available.Job Open Date08/22/2017Job Close DateOpen Until FilledYesSpecial Instructions SummaryEEO Statement
It is the policy of Colgate University not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of their race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, marital status, disability, protected Veterans status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, being or having been victims of domestic violence or stalking, familial status, or any other categories covered by law. Colgate is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, women, persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.Clery ActSupplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you at least 18 years of age?
- * Are you currently a Colgate employee?
- * Have you ever been a Colgate employee?
- * Please let us know how you heard about this position.
- Albany Times Union
- Binghamton Press & Sun
- Cazenovia Republican
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Colgate Employee
- Colgate Website
- Diverse Issues of Higher Education
- HERC (Upstate New York HERC)
- Mid-York Weekly
- NCAA News
- Norwich Evening Sun
- Oneida Daily Dispatch
- Sherburne News
- Syracuse Post Standard
- Utica Observer Dispatch
- Waterville Times
- If you selected "Colgate Employee" or "Other" for how you heard about this position, please provide the employee's name or where you heard about/saw the position.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter