Assistant Swimming Diving Coach
Posting DetailsPosition Information Job CategoryAthletic Staff Coach/TrainerPosition TitleAssistant Swimming Diving CoachFull Time/Part TimeFull TimeDivisionAthleticsDepartmentSwimming & DivingDepartment StatementAccountabilities
• Responsible for execution of specific strategic activities and outcomes within assigned sport or area. These will include sustained performance and execution in the following areas:
◦ adhere to Head Coach’s philosophy
◦ athletic instruction.
◦ student-athlete development
◦ student-athlete welfare
◦ competition preparation
◦ program operations and administration as designated by head coach
• Responsible for recruiting and management of student-athletes to include sustained performance in the following areas:
◦ attracting and evaluating prospective student-athletes
◦ monitoring student-athlete academic progress and well being
◦ developing and maintaining relationships with prospective student-athletes and other recruiting constituents
◦ contributing to overall team recruitment strategy
• Responsible for the executive of specific operational and event related tasks for Lineberry Natatorium as assigned by the Head Coach.
• Responsible for coordination of all aspects of facility rental operations.
• Accountable for maintaining personal compliance with all relevant governing bodies to include:
◦ specific conference
◦ athletic department
◦ university policies
• Accountable for maintaining professional relationships with key internal and external stakeholders.
• Responsible for role modeling behaviors and leadership for student-athletes.
• Responsible for effective oversight and management of student managers.
Colgate Athletics Mission:
To be an inclusive community of competitive excellence
Athletics Department Values:
Thoughtful – Careful, reasoned, inclusive thinking
Driven – Relentless, energetic, focused pursuit of courageous goal
Enthusiastic – Passionate, positive, fun presence
Cohesive – Close—knit, collaborative, consistent teamwork
Bold – Creative, resourceful, fearless winners
Demonstrated ability to identify and evaluate best-fit prospective student-athletes. Demonstrated ability to attract desired student-athletes to the University. Demonstrated ability to build and maintain productive relationships with prospective student-athletes and key influencers.Technical Competencies NameStudent athlete development, management and instructionDescription
Demonstrated ability of consistently improving individual student-athlete performance. Demonstrated expertise within a specific sport sufficient to adhere to head coach’s strategy. Demonstrated ability to execute strategy, including pre-game preparation, instruction and game management.Technical Competencies NameComplianceDescription
Demonstrated knowledge and ability to comply with NCAA, conference and institutional regulations.Technical Competencies NameStakeholder RelationsDescription
Demonstrated ability to work constructively with a diverse population of internal and external stakeholders and contribute to an environment of inclusivity.Technical Competencies NameBudget and financeDescription
Ability to adhere to budget.Behavioral Competencies NamePersonal Accountability for ResultsDescription
Takes responsibility for decisions, performance, and outcomes; behaves in a responsible manner with a positive attitude; shows self-awareness and openness to feedback.Behavioral Competencies NameEffective CommunicationDescription
Demonstrates effective written and oral communication skills; shares information and seeks input from others; adapts communication to diverse audiences; protects private and confidential information.Behavioral Competencies NameProblem Solving and Decision MakingDescription
Analyzes and prioritizes situations to identify and solve problems; generates solutions to improve efficiency and quality; involves others in solving problems and making decisions; factors organizational goals into decisions; makes clear, transparent, and timely decisions.Behavioral Competencies NameChange ManagementDescription
Responds positively to changing university initiatives and readily adapts behavior to maintain effective performance; understands the long-term direction of the university and can relate this to departmental area; adapts to new methodologies; identifies and acts on areas where change is appropriate.Behavioral Competencies NameLeadership and TeamworkDescription
Applies skills and knowledge to provide a climate to achieve departmental and organizational success; balances individual and department goals; helps others perform at their best; builds productive relationships to enhance individual and organizational effectiveness; treats others with respect; resolves conflicts among team members.Behavioral Competencies NameCreativity and InnovationDescription
Generates, explores, encourages, and implements innovative ways of creating strategic value for the university, division, department, and individual level; critically assesses the effectiveness of new initiatives.Behavioral Competencies NameDiversity and InclusionDescription
Demonstrates respect for people and their differences; understands the benefits of a diverse workforce; earns the trust and respect of others; includes and welcomes others; works to understand the perspective of others; promotes opportunities to experience diversity within our community.Behavioral Competencies NameSustainabilityDescription
Understands the impact of decision making and personal behavior in achieving the university’s commitment to a sustainable and carbon-neutral campus; supports and advances the university’s sustainability initiatives; influences others to use sustainable practices.Requirements Professional Experience/ Qualifications
Requires candidate to demonstrate:
- significant knowledge of swimming and diving
- proven success in recruiting and in coaching at the college or an equivalently high level
- strong commitment to the academic success of student-athletes
- knowledge and commitment to University, Conference and NCAA regulations
- good communication and technology skills and strong leadership qualities
• Previous collegiate playing and/or coaching experience is required.
• Maintenance of current/up-to-date CPR and First Aid Certifications is required.Preferred Qualifications
• Proven competitive success
• Experience playing and/or coaching at a Division I school
Bachelor’s degree required
Master’s degree preferred
A current valid driver’s license, in accordance with the University’s Driver Safety and Motor Vehicle Use Policy is required.Physical RequirementsOther Information
Colgate University is committed to the principle of institutional control in administering its athletics program in a manner consistent with the NCAA, ECAC, and Patriot League rules. Each individual involved in the athletics division is obligated to maintain competency and knowledge of the rules, to act within his or her realm of responsibility in full compliance with the governing legislation, and to report any violation of NCAA, ECAC or Patriot League rules of which he or she is aware. Without limiting remedies otherwise available to the university, if you are found to be in violation of any NCAA, ECAC or Patriot League rules, you may be subject to disciplinary or corrective action as set forth in relevant NCAA, league or conference disciplinary and/or enforcement procedures, including suspension without pay or termination of employment for significant or repeated violations.Posting Detail Information Requisition Number2019S077PTemporaryNoWork Schedule
Weekdays, evenings, overnight and occasional weekends.Job Open Date06/07/2019Job Close DateOpen Until FilledYesSpecial Instructions Summary
Please attach a list of a minimum of three (3) professional references.EEO Statement
It is the policy of Colgate University not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of their race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, marital status, disability, protected Veterans status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, being or having been victims of domestic violence or stalking, familial status, or any other categories covered by law. Colgate is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, women, persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.Clery Act
CAMPUS CRIME REPORTING AND STATISTICS
The Campus Safety Department will provide upon request a copy of Colgate’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. This report includes statistics as reported to the United States Department of Education for the previous three years concerning reported: 1. crimes that occurred on-campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Colgate University; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from, the campus and 2. fires that occurred in student housing facilities. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security and fire safety, such as policies concerning sexual assault, life safety systems, and other related matters. To obtain a copy, contact William Ferguson, Clery Compliance Coordinator via e-mail at [email protected]. You may also access the report from the Campus Safety web page at: www.colgate.edu/offices/support/campussafety.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you currently a Colgate employee?
- * Have you ever been a Colgate employee?
- * Are you at least 18 years of age?
- * Please let us know how you heard about this position.
- Albany Times Union
- Binghamton Press & Sun
- Cazenovia Republican
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Colgate Employee
- Colgate Website
- Diverse Issues of Higher Education
- HERC (Upstate New York HERC)
- Mid-York Weekly
- NCAA News
- Norwich Evening Sun
- Oneida Daily Dispatch
- Sherburne News
- Syracuse Post Standard
- Utica Observer Dispatch
- Waterville Times
- If you selected "Colgate Employee" or "Other" for how you heard about this position, please provide the employee's name or where you heard about/saw the position.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please indicate the highest level of education that you have completed.
- High School/GED
- Associate's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree or Higher
- * Do you have previous collegiate playing and/or coaching experience?
- Cover Letter