Student Assistant Campus Life
Job location: Davie
Employment Type: Part-time
Posted data: 2019-08-15
Apply now to join FAU on its race to excellence. For more information on everything FAU has to offer, please visit www.fau.edu/jobs. Position Summary:
The department of Campus Life, Davie Campus is seeking Student Assistants, Campus Life.
The Student Assistant is a pivotal part of the Campus Life team on the Davie Campus. The Student Assistant is often the first point of contact for students, faculty, and the FAU community members. Additionally, this role assists with maintaining successful office operations and support of the Campus Life Office. This position reports to the Associate Director of Campus Life.
- General office and reception area support, to include:
- Reception area management.
- Greeting students, faculty and staff and directing to the appropriate Campus Life or FAU staff member and/or department.
- Managing in-bound phone calls.
- Copying and printing flyers and brochures.
- Track office supplies and reorder as needed.
- Completion of the Student Affairs CORE Training modules.
- Orientation tours.
- Other duties as assigned.
What You Will Do and Learn
- Articulate thoughts and ideas clearly and effectively in written and oral forms to persons inside and outside of organization.
- Exemplify effective verbal and written communication through proper phone and email etiquette.
- Assist with front desk reception and greeting Campus Life visitors.
- Follow up messages and reporting.
Work Ethic & Professionalism:
- Demonstrate personal accountability and effective work habits, e.g. punctuality, working productively with others, time workload management, and understand the impact of non-verbal communication on professional work image.
- Gain experience working in a professional environment (being punctual, adhering to dress code).
- Prioritize tasks with a focus on customer service.
- Complete 1-hour Owls Making Cents (Financial Literacy) Training (Part of the Student Affairs CORE Training Program).
- Attend a 1-hour Title IX for Student Employees Training (Part of the Student Affairs CORE Training Program).
- Build collaborative relationships with colleagues and customers representing diverse cultures, races, ages, genders, religions, lifestyles, and viewpoints.
- Interact with other departments on campus and understand how they contribute to FAU community.
- Planning, coordination, and execution of projects.
Critical Thinking/Problem Solving Skills:
- Exercise sound reasoning to analyze issues, make decisions, and overcome problems.
- Assist with student, faculty, staff, and community member questions with a courteous and professional demeanor by utilizing knowledge of the department and the university.
- Attend a 1-hour Bystander Intervention Training (Part of the Student Affairs CORE Training Program).
- Complete 1-hour Kognito At-Risk Students Training (Part of the Student Affairs CORE Training Program).
- Attend a 1-hour Emergency Management Training (Part of the Student Affairs CORE Training Program).
- Leverage the strengths of others to achieve common goals.
- Attend a 1-hour Leadership Mini-Institute (Part of the Student Affairs CORE Training Program).
- Preparation and project leadership.
- Engage and negotiate with students and staff.
Digital Technology Skills:
- Select and use appropriate technology to accomplish a given task. The individual is also able to apply computing skills to solve problems.
- Utilize computer software such as: Microsoft Office, Google Apps, Canvas, Owl CareerLink and LinkedIn.
- Perform clerical duties, including copying, filing, scanning, etc.
- Value, respect, and learn from diverse cultures, races, ages, gender, sexual orientations, and religions.
- Attend a 3-hour ADL Campus of Difference Diversity Training (Part of Student Affairs CORE Training Program).
- Respectful engagement with multi-culture and diverse students, and staff.
- Identify and articulate one’s skills, strengths, knowledge, and experiences relevant to the position desired and career goals and identify areas necessary for professional growth.
- Attend one career counseling session with the FAU Career Center once per semester and register for Handshake account.
- Attend a 1-hour From College to Careers, Career Readiness session (Part of the Student Affairs CORE Training Program).
- Identify and articulate one's skills, strengths, knowledge, and experiences relevant to the position desired and career goals and identify areas necessary for professional growth.
- Maintain required GPA for job position.
- Balance involvement in academics, co-curricular activities, and job responsibilities effectively.
- Identify and articulate transferrable skills.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills are essential to success in this position.
Must be proficient in Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel.
Must also have excellent customer service, organizational and time management skills.Salary:$10 per hourCollege or Department:Student Union, Davie CampusLocation:DavieWork Days and Hours:Saturday – Friday, 20 hours per week.Application Deadline: 2019-08-29-07:00Special Instructions to Applicant: Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodation, please call 561-297-3057. 711
Successful completion of a background check, which may include a motor vehicle check, credit check, fingerprinting or additional screening, is required for the selected candidate prior to the start date.
A resume is required for this position. Make sure to attach these required documents in the Attachments section of the application. Any missing required documents may result in disqualification.
This recruitment has been reopened; all previous applicants are still under consideration and need not reapply. This position may close without prior notice.