Assistant to the Chief Advancement Officer
Amherst College invites applications for the Assistant to the Chief Advancement Officer position. The Assistant to the Chief Advancement Officer is a full time, year round position, job group and level AO-5. Amherst College has profoundly transformed its student body in terms of socioeconomic status, ethnicity, and nationality, among other areas. Today, nearly one-quarter of Amherst's students are Pell Grant recipients; 45 percent of our studentsidentify as domestic students of color. Our expectation is that the successful candidate will excel at working in a community that is broadly diverse with regard to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion.
The Assistant to the Chief Advancement Officer (CAO) provides administrative and logistical support for the Chief Advancement Officer and the Director of Prospect Information & Strategy, and, by association, the president, trustees, our top donors, administrators, faculty, alumni, parents and friends who are served by Advancement. Tracks and documents activity related to Principal Giving donors, organizes and prepares supportive materials for a variety of meetings and committees, including two Board committees, the Committee on Institutional Advancement and the Trusteeship Committee. Manages the overall administration and coordination of Advancement meetings and Advancement staff events.
Takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
Summary of Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Administrative Support - Facilitates the efficient utilization of the CAO's time through development and coordination of a complex calendar of appointments, meetings, networking engagements and college functions with individuals and groups. Provides 'gateway' and 'gatekeeper' role, creating win-win situations for access to the CAO's time and office, represents Advancement in communications with internal and external constituents, serving as first point of contact in the CAO office, ensures the completion of a broad variety of administrative tasks for the CAO, preparing and submitting expense reports; composing and preparing correspondence; arranging complex and detailed travel plans, itineraries and agendas; and compiling documents for travel-related meetings and on-campus activities
- College Relations - Provides a bridge for smooth communication between Advancement and other departments, demonstrating leadership to maintain credibility, trust and support, assists the CAO in oversight functions by reviewing, monitoring and approving forms, and reviewing correspondence and documents, researches, prioritizes and follows up on incoming issues and concerns addressed to the CAO, determining appropriate courses of action, referral or response, in collaboration with the CAO, supports the work of the Board of Trustees Committee on Institutional Advancement and Trusteeship Committee
- Principal Gift Prospect Support - Schedules meetings with donors for the President on behalf of Advancement, coordinates research, briefing memos, proofreads and edits briefing memos, supports the Campaign Co-chairs as the key point of contact, working closely with their assistants to coordinate meetings, travel and conference calls, proactively manages the Chief Advancement Officer's prospect list including tracking and updating progress levels, in partnership with Prospect Management colleagues, requests donor updates and coordinates work with Prospect Development team to seamlessly provide updated information on prospects, with the understanding of how gifts are processed, expedites requests and inquiries from College staff and faculty, trustees, alumni, parents, friends and key volunteers
- Division Coordination - Assists in coordinating the agenda of Department Heads and Managers meetings, off-sites and all-staff meetings, maintains departmental information including organizational charts and department head minutes, provides coordination support for all staff meetings and events
- Bachelor's degree, or 7 years of administrative experience in lieu of degree
- 5 years of related experience
- Strong organizational and time management skills that reflect the ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail
- Very strong interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to translate and interpret data
- Highly resourceful team-player with the ability to also be extremely effective independently
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion
- Demonstrated high level of customer/client service and response
- Forward looking thinker, actively seeking opportunities and a solving problems proactively
- Experience contributing to a diverse community
Interestedcandidates are asked to submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information (email and/or telephone numbers) for three professional references. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
ABOUT AMHERST COLLEGE
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college's community is composed of about1,800 students from 48 states, plus Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college's scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm ; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum , Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum ; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst the perfect place to work, learn and live!