Student Services Professional
Posting DetailsPosting Details Posting NumberS03483PWorking TitleStudent Services ProfessionalDepartmentRegistrar's OfficeAbout the University of Georgia
The University of Georgia (UGA), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education (http://www.uga.edu/). UGA is currently ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,600 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 36,000 students including over 27,500 undergraduates and over 8,500 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 17 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.About the College/Unit/Department
The Office of the Registrar is the steward of official student academic records and is responsible for the accuracy, integrity, and security of those records. The office is committed to fulfilling its role in the educational mission of the University of Georgia by providing effective and efficient academic support and assistance to the students, faculty, staff, and alumni of the University.College/Unit/Department websitewww.reg.uga.eduPosting TypeExternalRetirement PlanTRS or ORPEmployment TypeEmployeeBenefits EligibilityBenefits EligibleFull/Part timeFull TimeWork ScheduleAdditional Schedule Information
Monday-Friday; 8am-5pmAdvertised Salary$30,000-$35,000Posting Date07/10/2019Open until filledYesClosing DateProposed Starting Date08/01/2019Special Instructions to Applicants
cover letter and resume requiredLocation of VacancyAthens Area EEO Policy Statement
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status.Position Information Classification TitleStudent Services ProfessionalPay GradeFLSAExemptJob FamilyFTE1.00Minimum Qualifications
Requires at least a baccalaureate degree in the field. Please contact your Human Resources office for an evaluation of education/experience in lieu of the required minimum qualifications.Preferred Qualifications
1-2 years student services or customer service experience
Proficiency with MS Office Suite
Proven communication skills
Experience with confidential data a plus
Experience with Banner a bonus
This position will serve as the primary resource for students, parents, faculty, staff, alumni, departmental offices and the general public in regards to creatively problem-solving a wide variety of issues and concerns related to registration and student records at the University. This position includes comprehension and application of student information systems, policies and practices as it encompasses a multitude of processing to follow registrar best practices. This position will serve as an advocate for student academic success, drawing upon their knowledge of policy and procedure in an effort to proactively offer solutions to students with questions related to academic history and registration.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies
Expert customer service and communication skills.
Ability to manage a fast-paced service environment.
Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
Strong knowledge of MS Office Suite.
Thorough knowledge of UGA academic policies and procedures.
Ability to deescalate tense situations.
Ability to establish strong professional relationships with the campus community.
Banner student knowledge a plus.
Sit at a desk and computer for long periods of time.
Stay on the phone for continuous calls.
Travel on campus for meetings.
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.Duties/Responsibilities Duties/Responsibilities
Serve as the primary resource for students, parents, faculty, staff, alumni, departmental offices and the general public in regards to a wide variety of issues and concerns related to registration and student records at the University.
• Triage and answer a wide range of questions/issues generated from students, parents, faculty, staff, and alumni in person, through the four office email accounts or on the phone.
• Assist students with a wide variety of issues and concerns regarding their academics at UGA, applying university policies and procedures; offer options for students in resolving a variety of problems regarding their registration and academic record such as late-adds, withdrawals, MyPrograms, holds, graduation application, Education Affairs Committee referrals, etc.
• Step students through complex Athena screens as needed such as Contact Information
• Serve as liaison for the student/faculty/alum when referring to another part of the office.
• Assist and train student workers
• Liaise with other offices, such as the EITS helpdesk, the Office of the Student Financial Aid, the Office of International Education, the Equal Opportunity Office, Student Conduct, Academic Honesty, etc.
Conduct a variety of system processing
• Process transcript requests through Parchment and Banner
• Process verifications in Banner of student and enrollment data in a timely fashion in accordance with office and FERPA guidelines.
• Process degree verifications, loan deferments, and letters of good standing to other institutions, guaranteed student loans, insurance companies, and other external agencies.
• Complete Former checklist for each readmit including establishing registration holds, reinstating on SGASTDN, requesting a registration time ticket, preparing a welcome email with instructions, etc.
• Enter and validate Banner student attributes
• Troubleshoot National Student Clearinghouse issues and process queues
• Process and document Dean’s Certifications
• Process late adds and section changes
• Assist with reconciling Argos reports
• Assist with processing documents needed for audits
Research, assess and resolve issues related to student records
• Assess and resolve Banner/Athena issues such as registration restriction errors, withdrawal processing, tuition assessment, readmits, Final Grades, eGrade, clearing holds, approving curriculum changes, tuition assistance, MyId errors, the Banner application and payments, etc.
• Consult USG and UGA policies; refer to the UGA bulletin as appropriate
• Validate documents for Verification of Lawful Presence
• Report symptoms to office technical team for connectivity and system issues
• Recommend website updates
Assist with office projects and initiatives
• Implement business process improvements and efficiencies
• Research registrar practices from USG and peer institutions
• Maintain an FAQ inventory for AI service products
• Maintain knowledge base documents
• Stay abreast of University Council policy changes
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree?
- * What is your Philosophy for serving students?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Why are you interested in this position? What experiences and skills do you have that are a good fit for this position?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter