Bioinformatics Software Developer
University of Colorado | CU Anschutz MedicalCampusColorado Center for Personalized MedicineBioinformatics Software Developer (IT Senior Professional)Position #00744353 – Requisition #16752
*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University ofColorado Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitmentto creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the abilityto engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
Colorado Center for Personalized Medicine has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) BioinformaticsSoftware Developer (IT Senior Professional) position.
The University ofColorado Anschutz Medical Campus is a public education, clinical and researchfacility serving 4,500 students, and a world-class medical destination at theforefront of life-changing science, medicine, and healthcare. CU Anschutzoffers more than 42 highly rated degree programs through 6 schools andcolleges, and receives over $500 million in research awards each year. We arethe single largest health professions education provider in Colorado, awardingnearly 1,450 degrees annually. Powered by our award-winning faculty, renownedresearchers and a reputation for academic excellence, the CU Anschutz MedicalCampus drives innovation from the classroom to the laboratory to the deliveryof unparalleled patient care. ReadCU Anschutz Quick Facts here.Nature of Work:
Thisposition will develop software and perform data analysis as a member of a teamof bioinformaticians in a medical clinical laboratory focusing on diagnosis andresearch in the areas of cancer and genetic disorders. Projects include, butare not limited to: next generation sequencing data analysis; development,testing, and maintenance of laboratory management and analytical web sites,databases, and pipelines; and preparation of abstracts, oral and posterpresentations, scientific manuscripts, and research grants.Examples of Work Performed:
- Interact directlywith users to determine software requirements.
- Use softwaredevelopment languages and tools to write, edit, maintain, and test computersoftware.
- Design, build,test, and deploy software applications, which may include web sites, webapplications, mobile applications, data analysis and visualization, and dataprocessing workflows for compute clusters or cloud services.
- Improve,maintain, and augment existing software.
- Clearly andregularly communicate with management and colleagues.
This description is a summary only and isdescribing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to beall-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/orbased on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties andresponsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
Jobs inthis career family develop, maintain, and support computer systems, softwareand networks. Functions includeenterprise operations, distributed computing, academic computing, researchcomputing, computer hardware and software management, computer networking,telecommunications, systems development, database administration, serveradministration, website management, programming, desktop support, and help deskoperations.
SeniorProfessionals are responsible for exercising discretion, analytical skill,personal accountability and responsibility in a wide range of areas includingacademic, administrative, managerial and student services functions. Workinvolves creating, integrating, applying and sharing knowledge directly relatedto a professional field. Work isperformed fully independently.
The salary range (or the hiringrange) for this position has been established at $58,793 to $98,773 and iscommensurate with skills and experience.
This position isnot eligible for overtime compensation.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. TheUniversity of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirementcontributions that add to your bottom line.
TotalCompensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information ondisability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | AnschutzMedical Campus is committed to recruiting andsupporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. Theuniversity strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect,communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnicminorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University ofColorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The University of Colorado Denver | AnschutzMedical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe andsecure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist inachieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospectiveemployees.
- Bachelor’s degreefrom an accredited institution with an outstanding academic record inbioinformatics, bioengineering, genetics, computational sciences, softwareengineering, or a directly related field.
- Experience withobject-oriented computer programming, relational databases, and webdevelopment.
- Working knowledgeof biology, genetics, statistics, and laboratory procedures through course workor job experience.
- Master’s degreefrom an accredited institution with an outstanding academic record inbioinformatics, bioengineering, genetics, computational sciences, softwareengineering, or a directly related field.
- Experience withany of the following:
- Unit testing
- SQL for dataanalysis and object relational model web frameworks
- Python/pandasand/or R for data analysis and visualization
- Laboratoryinformation management systems
- Major biomedicalgenomic and cancer databases
- Linux operatingsystem
- High PerformanceComputing clusters
- Workflow managers and/or workflow definition languages
- Configuring andusing HTTP servers with Nginx and/or Apache
Competencies/Knowledge,Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced proficiencywith at least one modern programming language, preferably Python.
- Ability to work independently and within a cross-functional team, including outstanding written and verbal communication, documentation, and presentation.
- Facility foridentifying and applying novel software solutions.
- Ability to designand create innovative, robust, thoroughly-tested, and well-documentedapplications.
- Strong analyticalskills, critical thinking, attention to detail, and accuracy.
- Enthusiasm anddedication for project and team success.
- Ability tocommunicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability toestablish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at alllevels throughout the institution.
- Outstandingcustomer service skills.
- Demonstratedcommitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: Jul 15, 2019
Unposting Date: Ongoing