Vice President for Finance and Administration
Henderson State University invites applications and nominations for the position of Vice President for Finance and Administration. The university seeks a dynamic, innovative, and visionary individual to lead its financial and administrative operations. Working collaboratively with the President, the Vice President is a member of the President’s Executive Council and serves as the chief advisor to the President and executive staff on fiscal affairs and administrative and facility operations. Those areas reporting to the Vice President include business office, human resources, budgets and payroll, procurement, contract administration, and land acquisitions. Additionally, the Vice President manages the university’s outsourced contractual relationships for the bookstore, dining services, postal services, and physical facilities.
Henderson State University is a comprehensive institution of higher education serving the State of Arkansas, particularly the south Arkansas region, and portions of surrounding states. Henderson State University’s fall enrollment averages 3,000 undergraduate students and 475 graduate students, with students coming from 33 states and 30 countries. We offer our students a choice of 62 degree programs with 119 different majors in areas ranging from the Arts and Sciences to Business, Education, Nursing and Aviation. Our undergraduate degrees include the following: Associate of Science, bachelor’s degrees in Art, Business Administration, Fine Arts, Integrated Studies, Music, Science, Education, and Nursing. Graduate degrees include our Master of Art in Teaching, Master of Business Administration, Master of Liberal Arts, Master of Science, Master of Science and Education, and Master of Science in Nursing, as well as the post-Master Education Specialist degree.
• Serves as the Chief Financial Officer, reporting directly to the President on all administrative, managerial and business functions. The Vice President participates in the development, implementation and maintenance of institutional policies, procedures and plans, and supervises the staff, activities, and programs within Finance and Administration.
• Provides leadership to division-wide strategic planning and related activities; oversees a university-wide budgetary process that reflects the mission, vision and strategic direction of the university; in collaboration with the President and other Executive Council members reviews the university organizational structure and develops a division-wide structure that facilitates service orientation.
• Provides sound, ethical and transparent fiscal planning, financial management, and budgetary processes that ensure long-term financial viability of the institution and meet current operational needs to create, sustain and grow a vibrant learning community.
• Develops and encourages strong collaborative working relationships with internal and external stakeholders including faculty, staff, students, alumni, donors, Arkansas Department of Higher Education, Arkansas Higher Education Coordinating Board, and other state and legislative entities and individuals. Creates a collegial environment where teamwork is valued.
• Provides leadership for planning, building and maintaining the physical learning environment.
• Serves as the principal liaison to accrediting bodies, city and governmental agencies, and other agencies regarding fiscal, administrative, and operational matters.
• Coordinates processes that ensure the development and implementation of a Campus Facilities Master Plan.
Henderson State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer with a significant commitment to achieving excellence and diversity among its faculty, staff, and students. In pursuit of this commitment, the successful candidate will hold a Master’s degree in Business Administration or a related field such as accounting or finance. Additionally, the individual will possess a minimum of five years experience in higher education financial administration at the executive level.
Finally, the successful candidate will possess a demonstrable record of:
• Innovative leadership in strategic planning, oversight of major capital projects, budget and management systems, preferably in higher education.
• Success in improving the management, quality, operations and customer service of division units.
• Innovative thinking and success in a collaborative and diverse environment, and effective communication on key issues that clearly facilitates decision-making and enables understanding.
• Ability to work collaboratively with all campus constituents and act as a facilitator in creating effective campus work teams.
• Ethical and transparent work processes and decisions.
Henderson is located in Arkadelphia, a charming community of 11,000 residents situated one hour south of Little Rock on Interstate 30. Nestled in the foothills of the Ouachita Mountains, the community is home to two universities, a strong public school system, two recreational rivers, the iconic Lake DeGray, and is approximately 30 miles from historic Hot Springs National Park, one of the great American treasures. Please visit www.hsu.edu, www.arkadelphiaalliance.com, or www.arkadelphiaschools.org for more information about Henderson and our community.
Applications and nominations should be directed to Dr. Marc Miller, Chair of the Search Committee, via e-mail in PDF or MS Word format to we[email protected] Items to be submitted include a letter of application, a current curriculum vitae, a statement of higher education philosophy, and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of five current references.
Screening of applications will begin on September 16, 2019, and will continue until the position is filled. The anticipated starting date is January 2, 2020, but an earlier starting date can be negotiated. Under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act, applications are subject to public inspection. The finalists will be required to submit to a background screening including a criminal background check pursuant to university policy.