Department:: Campus Facilities
Locations:: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posted:: Jul 11, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
About Dutchess Community College:
Located in the heart of New York's beautiful and historic mid-Hudson Valley, just 90 minutes north of New York City, DCC is part of the State University of New York, the largest comprehensive public higher education system in the country. A winner of the 2015 HEED Award for inclusiveness, DCC is dedicated to respecting individuality, embracing diversity and partnering with the community to achieve shared goals. The College welcomes applications from faculty and staff who share and are anxious to support the institution's values of Excellence, Access, Diversity, Collaboration and Accountability, and who are passionate about engaging with both students and the community.
This is an administrative and supervisory position with responsibility for managing the cleaning operations at Dutchess Community College.
Work is performed under general supervision of a higher level administrator with wide leeway permitted for the use of independent judgement in planning and carrying out the technical phases of the work. Supervision is exercised over a large staff of cleaning personnel.
Typical Work Activities:
- Directs and supervises two shifts of cleaning staff in the safe and efficient cleaning of all College facilities on the main college campus including the College Residence Hall;
- Establishes safety standards and controls in relation to cleaning and ensuring that all staff follow proper procedures;
- Establishes cleaning standards and inspects and evaluates appearance and condition of buildings to insure standards are met;
- Keeps records of all cleaning equipment and supplies and coordinate with warehouse personnel;
- Recommends repair of machines and if possible make repairs in house;
- Meet with manufacturer's representatives concerning cleaning products and equipment;
- Develop yearly budget for Housekeeping Department;
- Monitors scheduling of events held at the college and coordinate any set-ups with appropriate persons;
- Utilize housekeeping staff to do the daily set ups and special events;
- Addresses any concerns and complaints of the College community regarding cleaning issues and initiate solutions;
- Co-supervise snow and ice control activities;
- Does related work as required.
Full Performance Knowledge, Skills, abilities and Personal Characteristics:
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices, tools and terminology of large scale building cleaning;
- Good knowledge of the safety procedures used in building cleaning activities;
- Good knowledge of current O.S.H.A. standards, the Right to Know Law and other safety laws, rules and regulations as they relate to building cleaning;
- Good knowledge of budgeting and purchasing procedures used in a municipal setting;
- Good knowledge of recycling practices and procedures based on current laws;
- Skill in the use of standard tools and equipment used in cleaning;
- Ability to do minor repairs on equipment;
- Ability to supervise the work of others;
- Ability to keep records;
- Ability to use software to keep time and attendance records on Housekeeping Department employees;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others;
- Ability to utilize a variety of computer software programs used on campus; initiative; good judgement; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
- Possession of a valid driver's license.
(A) High School graduation or its equivalent and 5 years of progressively responsible experience in large scale building cleaning, custodial work or related areas and at least 2 years which has been in a supervisory capacity.
(B) An equivalent combination of the above training and experience.
Note: College credits may be substituted for up to four years work experience on a year for year basis other than supervisory (30 credits equivalent to one year's work experience).
This position is a civil service position in accordance with all applicable civil service regulations. As such, all appointment are provisional pending successful placement via examination by the Dutchess County examinations unit.