Academic Advisor & Coordinator for Transfer Programs - Engineering Administration (117103)
Academic Advisor & Coordinator for Transfer Programs
The Grainger College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Grainger College of Engineering seeks applicants for the position of Academic Advisor & Coordinator for Transfer Programs. Reporting to the Academic Advisor & Assistant Director for Transfer Programs, this position will advise current undergraduate students, advise and recruit prospective transfer students, and coordinate, facilitate, and provide academic support for transfer programs, including Engineering Pathways.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Advise students on topics such as course selection, academic progress, inter-departmental and inter-college transfer decisions, course overloads and underloads, late course drops and dual-degree registration. Assist with the new freshman registration process.
- Join other members of the college advising staff in making recommendations to the Associate Dean on drop and probation decisions.
- Serve as a college-level resource for prospective transfer students and students who have transferred to Illinois.
- Track the academic progress of transfer students and develop advising/outreach and support strategies for students considered academically at-risk.
- Assist prospective transfer students with understanding university, college and major-specific admission requirements, course transferability, and degree requirements. Assist students with schedule planning.
- Respond to inquiries by phone, email, and via in-person and online advising sessions.
- Serve as the college-level contact and advisor for students participating in Pathways to Illinois.
- Assist with the development, planning, and implementation of ongoing programs for students at all stages of the transfer process, such as summer transition programming, Engineering Pathways orientation and welcome events, and assist with improvement to these programs and development of new programs.
- Collaborate with the Grainger Engineering First-Year Experience (GFX) program to organize and deliver ENG 300: Engineering Transfer Orientation.
- Communicate and facilitate transfer student participation in college and campus opportunities.
- Assist with evaluations of the effectiveness of transfer programs and communication of findings via presentations, reports, and proposals, including those related to funding.
- Develop a marketing strategy for transfer programs, including an online web and social media presence, presentations and flyers, and annual report for Engineering Pathways. Revise and update materials as needed.
- Assist in recruitment, hiring, training, and supervision of student employees who will support transfer initiatives.
- Assume other advising and transfer-related duties to support the mission of the Undergraduate Programs Office.
- Serve on the Recruitment Committee, which assists efforts to recruit and matriculate students, by developing strategies for general recruitment and specifically through transfer programs, including Engineering Pathways.
- Assist the Academic Advisor and Assistant Director of Transfer Programs to plan and implement strategies for transfer recruitment, including site visits to Illinois community colleges. Create presentations and workshops for transfer recruiting and other events.
- Represent the College of Engineering to prospective students and their families at a variety of recruiting events and information sessions (Engineering Q&As, Illini Days, Orange & Blue Days, etc.); this includes presenting information to large groups.
- Work with the Office of Communications to develop recruitment materials and a comprehensive communication and yield strategy for transfer students.
- Some evenings, weekends, and in-state travel required to support recruitment and programming.
- Master’s degree.
- 2 years of experience working with college students in advising and/or student programming.
- Master’s degree in engineering, technology, higher education, counseling, or a related field.
- Experience working with transfer students, especially those attending Illinois community colleges.
- Experience working with low-income and/or first-generation college students.
- Experience working with undergraduate admissions, recruitment, or marketing.
- Familiarity with University of Illinois policies and systems including Banner, UgradRecs, SLATE, etc.
Successful candidates will have:
- Strong organizational and communication skills, including the ability to make effective presentations.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks with little supervision.
- Commitment to working with college students from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to work as part of team in a fast-paced, student-centered environment.
The Academic Advisor & Coordinator for Transfer Programs position is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references by July 31, 2019. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Thurman Etchison, [email protected], 217-300-2193.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
College Name or Administrative Unit:Engineering Category:5-Education and Student Services Title:Academic Advisor & Coordinator for Transfer Programs - Engineering Administration (117103) Open Date:07/12/2019 Close Date:07/31/2019 Organization Name:Engineering Administration