Graduate Program Specialist and Academic Advisor - Department of Computer Science (116816)
Graduate Program Specialist and Academic Advisor
Department of Computer Science
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Department of Computer Science (CS) at The Grainger College of Engineering seeks applicants for the position of Graudate Program Specialist and Academic Advisor to support the advising and administrative operations of the department's graudate programs, with primary responsibility for the online graduate programs.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Advise applicants and prospective applicants to the graduate programs in Computer Science in matters pertaining to admissibility and application procedures.
- Maintain familiarity with departmental and university admissions policies and procedures and ensure graduate program policies are in compliance with those of the University.
- Communicate with admitted graduate students to facilitate the admission process.
- Advise students on curriculum, registration, and degree requirements and work with other academic advisors and staff as needed to meet advising needs.
- Implement processes to ensure timely communication of university announcements and information to graduate students.
- Assist with all aspects of processing graduate applications.
- Assume responsibility for implementing graduate recruiting and orientation activities, and implementing additional special events that are organized by the grad office.
- Communicate with on-campus and external partners in the daily operations of the graduate programs.
- Develop and maintain data sets pertinent to the Department’s graduate programs.
Perform additional appropriate duties to further the mission of the department.
- Bachelor's degree
- At least two years of experience in providing student academic support in a higher education setting
- Experience working with students from diverse backgrounds
- Experience working independently, and as part of a team, while meeting multiple deadlines
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and manage diverse activities
- Must be highly organized and be able to work under multiple deadlines
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Master's degree in Higher Education or related field
- Experience working with multiple teams, including external partners and vendors
- Experience in event planning
- Ability to use technical tools to communicate with students and manage a large volume of student records
The Graduate Program Specialist and Academic Advisor position is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references as a single pdf file by August 1, 2019. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Denise Corray, [email protected], 217-300-3309.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.College Name or Administrative Unit:Engineering Category:5-Education and Student Services Title:Graduate Program Specialist and Academic Advisor - Department of Computer Science (116816) Open Date:07/11/2019 Close Date:08/01/2019 Organization Name:Computer Science