Interdisciplinary Health Sciences Academic Advisor and Applied Health Sciences Honors Program C...
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
College of Applied Health Sciences
Interdisciplinary Health Sciences Academic Advisor and Applied Health Sciences Honors Program Coordinator
The College of Applied Health Sciences (AHS) at the University of Illinois is a world leader in research, teaching, and public engagement focusing on health and wellness across the lifespan. AHS’ research, teaching, and service programs seek to improve the quality of life of people of all ages and cultures, promote the development of healthy communities, and help people with disabilities live full and independent lives. AHS has nationally recognized units in their fields, and is home to the Departments of Kinesiology and Community Health; Recreation, Sport and Tourism; and Speech and Hearing Science. Two of the college’s top priorities are to provide strong academic advising services and honors programming to its undergraduate students. AHS is looking for a dynamic individual to advise undergraduate students majoring in our growing Interdisciplinary Health Sciences major and coordinate programming for the college’s honors programs.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
PRIMARY POSITION FUNCTION/SUMMARY
The College of AHS is seeking a dedicated individual to provide academic advising for undergraduate students interested and enrolled in our growing Interdisciplinary Health Sciences major (70% of time) and coordinate programming and functions for the college’s honors programs (30% of time).
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide one-on-one advising and career counseling to approximately 100-150 degree majors and monitor progress toward degrees.
- Co-teach the Interdisciplinary Health Sciences orientation courses for new students (first eight weeks of semester).
- Welcome and advise new students during summer registration program, including transfer students and assisting with course selection.
- Assist with the promotion of the Interdisciplinary Health Sciences major and provide support for student communication including print and web-based materials.
- Coordinate, support and evaluate students throughout the intercollegiate transfer process (in-campus transfer process).
- Collaborate with the Assistant Dean (Honors Dean) regarding honors program best practices, policy, and budget.
- Manage daily aspects of the AHS James Scholar Program (approximately 225 students) such as programming and supervising the James Scholar Student Advisory Board.
- Teach James Scholar Freshman Seminar (second eight weeks, fall semester) and James Scholar Mentoring Seminar (spring semester).
- Oversee the implementation of college wide programs for high-achieving students (such as the SPARK Undergraduate Research Program).
- Assist the AHS Undergraduate Recruiter with recruitment initiatives and programming for prospective honors students.
- Assist with college-wide student events as needed.
- Serve on campus-wide, college, and departmental committees.
- Perform other related duties that further the mission of the college.
- Master’s degree in education, counseling, a health-related field, or higher education administration.
- At least one year of experience with academic advising, career counseling, or student support services.
- Ability to work effectively across academic disciplines and as part of an advising team.
- Creativity and commitment to program initiatives.
- Experience working with students in a health-related field or academic setting.
- An understanding of the needs and concerns of college students and a passion for working with them.
- Demonstrated strengths include experience in public speaking, strong writing ability and organizational skills.
- Significant intercultural skills and experience working with diverse populations.
Salary will be commensurate with experience.
100 % time appointment, 12 months
PROPOSED STARTING DATE:
As soon as possible after the closing date.
Please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your resume, cover letter (including advising philosophy), and the names and email addresses or phone numbers of three professional references, etc. by the close date of July 24, 2019. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered.
For further information regarding application procedures, applicants may contact Beth Frasca, Chair [email protected].
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
College Name or Administrative Unit:College of Applied Health Sciences Category:5-Education and Student Services Title:Interdisciplinary Health Sciences Academic Advisor and Applied Health Sciences Honors Program Coordinator (118004) Open Date:07/10/2019 Close Date:07/24/2019 Organization Name:Academic Affairs