Assistant Director of Facilities and Operations
Position Title: Assistant Director of Facilities and Operations
Bachelor’s degree in architecture, engineering, construction technology or related field and three (3) years progressive management and supervisory experience; or an Associate’s degree in engineering or engineering technology (preferably mechanical) or related field and five (5) years of progressive management, supervisory and computer experience preferably in a College or institutional environment; or an equivalent combination of education and experience required.
Reports to the Director of Facilities and Operations and acts as Director in his/her absence. The Assistant Director supervises personnel and operations in the areas of Housekeeping, Central Receiving, Inventory Control and is responsible for physical plant inventory of equipment and supplies for all campus and center locations of the College. Close cooperation and interaction is expected with campus leaders, purchasing staff, administration, contractors, architects and engineers.
1. Assists the Director of Facilities and Operations in the overall supervision of the Department specifically in the planning, cost estimating, development and completion of new construction or renovation activities. Assists with the development of the Capital Budget;
2. Provides leadership, direction and evaluation for the development and success of assigned personnel;
3. Supports sustainability initiatives across campus;
4. Provides administrative support to the Director and independently maintains or supervises maintenance of appropriate records. Specifically responsible for the equipment inventory and other records pertaining to the Facilities & Operations Department;
5. Developments project drawings and specifications as required to plan, bid, and complete campus rehabilitation and renovation projects. Assists purchasing staff with bid documents as necessary. Evaluates bids, engineering proposals and estimates as required;
6. Knowledgeable of current construction practices, methods and materials and understands major building systems and how they function;
7. Knowledgeable of NYS Building code, National Electrical code and other applicable codes and
the ability to successfully research concerns related to codes;
8. Conducts facility inspections, manages ongoing projects and oversees the overall Campus
Preventive Maintenance Program at all campus and center locations;
9. Reviews tasks, priorities, methods procedures, products, equipment and operations and makes
recommendations to improve work quality, quantity and safety. Develops computerized systems
to improve efficiency and effectiveness of monitoring and managing campus facilities and
10. Surveys College facilities to monitor and control energy consumption and develops, coordinates,
and implements programs and methods to reduce energy consumption in a cost-effective manner;
11. Makes periodic inspections of building cleanliness and makes recommendations for correction and
implementation of housekeeping practices;
12. Available on 24-hour call for emergencies;
13. Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Facilities and Operations.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
MVCC does not discriminate. MVCC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. MVCC offers a comprehensive employee enrichment program. Official academic transcripts required upon hire.
Review Start Date: 8/11/2019
Review of applications will begin on the review start date and will continue until successful candidates have been identified.