Frequently Asked Questions

Job description

Frequently Asked Questions

Job Seekers

Q: Where can I find all the current Westchester Community College positions?
A: College positions are posted on our website. Click here to view current positions.

Q: I sent my resume by fax, do I have to send it through the US postal system?
A: No, one method of delivery is required, you may contact our main number (914) 606 6880 to confirm receipt of your application, or email us at [email protected].

Q: I applied for several positions, do I have to send a transcript for each position?
A: Only one official set of transcripts is required.

Q: I applied for a faculty or administrative position, but I have not received a response from the college.
A: Application forms and resumes are forwarded to the hiring department for review. After the closing date, you will be contacted and advised of the status of your application. Please contact [email protected] if you have not received a response within a one month period. All applicants receive an Affirmative Action Survey which should be returned.

Q: I have been offered a position by the department, but I am unsure of the start date.
A: Once a position is offered, the candidate must report to Human Resources, Administration Bldg, Room 111, to complete the required paperwork and to initiate the required background check. At that time, a firm start date will be determined.

Civil Service Positions

Q: How do I apply for a civil service position at Westchester Community College?
A: Support Staff positions are posted at the County Website where you can find current job postings or announcements for scheduled examinations. Once you have found an announcement in which you are interested, review the minimum qualifications to see if you possess these requirements.

The announcements contain important information to help you determine your eligibility, such as:

      • Job title
      • Date of examination
      • Job location
      • Duties
      • Salary
      • Description of the test
      • Deadline date for filing applications
      • How to apply
      • Fee information, if applicable

You may click here for current civil service positions announcements.

Part-time Faculty

Q: I am interested in developing a new course or program.
A: The Division of Continuing Education accepts non-credit course proposals. Please submit your course outline by clicking here.

Q: I have been hired as adjunct faculty. Can I join the retirement system?
A: Adjunct faculty may join the New York State Teachers’ Retirement System (NYSTRS). Please contact Human Resources for additional information.

Q: I just found out that I can join NYSTRS, can I get credit for my teaching experience?
A: After you have earned two years of service credit, as a NYSTRS member, you are eligible to purchase credit for prior service. Please contact Human Resources for additional information or go to

Q: How are adjunct faculty compensated?
A: “Credit” adjuncts have two salary steps based on the number of semesters taught. A credit adjunct may move to the second step after completing 12 semesters. After completing 21 semesters, the credit adjunct becomes a “senior” adjunct and moves to the top of the adjunct rate scale. Rates are determined by the active collective bargaining agreement.

Q: As an adjunct, do I have to pay for courses taken at the college?
A: Senior adjuncts who have completed 21 semesters are eligible for a tuition waiver in the credit divisions, however, these waivers cannot be used in the non credit division.

Full-time Faculty

Q: I have just been hired as a new full-time faculty member, are my children eligible for free tuition at Westchester Community College?
A: Immediate family members of full-time faculty are eligible for tuition waivers.

Q: How long does it take to become a tenured faculty member?
A: Tenure shall be attained when one has been appointed on an annual salary basis for five (5) full years continuously and is re-appointed for a sixth (6th) full year.


Q: Where can I find directions to the college?
A: Click here for directions to the campus.

Q: How can I get information on college unions?
A: All college employees with faculty titles, both full- and part-time, are represented by the Westchester Community College Federation of Teachers (American Federation of Teachers Local 2431). The WCCFT can be contacted by writing to the local’s secretary, Rowan Lindley, at [email protected] or [email protected]. The local secretary can provide information about the benefits of membership and how to join. College employees in classified and specified unclassified titles are represented by the Civil Service Employees Association, AFSCME 1000, Local 860 Unit 9202. The CSEA WCC Unit 9202 president, Carol Ann Zavarella may be reached at 914-606-7857 or 914-450-9256 or by email [email protected].




Diversity Profile: University



View more

Learn more on Inside Higher Ed's College Page for University

Arrow pointing right
Job No:
Posted: 7/16/2019
Application Due: 8/29/2019
Work Type: