Department:: Office of Research and Planning
Locations:: Des Plaines, IL
Posted:: Jun 26, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Full Time Staff
About Oakton Community College :
For over 40 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Paid winter break
FRIDAYS OFF during the summer
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Under general supervision of the Manager of Research, perform a variety of duties involving the application of statistical skills to the design, execution, and analysis of institutional research studies. Use computer applications and statistical analysis software for statistical modeling and graphic analysis. Participates in the preparation of written and oral presentations that summarize the analysis of data, interprets the findings, and provides conclusions and recommendations.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform data analysis using SAS, SPSS, Stata, R, or programming language.
- Use advanced modeling techniques to build the statistical algorithms necessary to answer complex research questions.
- Identify, develop, and apply appropriate quantitative methods as needed to address questions about student success.
- Develop and implement evaluation plans for specific college initiatives, including strategic and program evaluation questions, outcomes and indicators, data collection methods, analysis, and reporting.
- Collaborate with faculty and staff to plan meaningful studies, statistically analyze, and communicate and document results.
- Work with faculty and staff to present and interpret data from research and assessment projects.
- Identify and understand relevant scientific literature on higher education and apply knowledge gained from these sources.
- Apply oral and written communication skills in explaining complex statistics to those with varying levels of knowledge.
- Establish tracking systems, prioritize job duties, and track each assignment to satisfactory completion.
- Work independently to perform tasks and investigate and solve problems.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
Hiring Qualifications and Working Conditions:
- Master's Degree in a discipline in the behavioral sciences, higher education, mathematics, or computer science or Bachelor's degree in one of these fields and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
- Two years of experience in scientific research, including collection, analysis, and management of quantitative data, with advanced statistical analysis expertise.
- Three years of experience using statistical analysis software required. SQL database programming and SAS statistical analysis software competency preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to use standard office computer and telecommunications software, including advanced skills in Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Office product suite, and other technology tools.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct collaborative studies, maintain timeliness, identify challenges to progress, and effectively communicate in oral and written forms with all levels of staff.
- Highly self motivated and directed with proven ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment with respect to completing research projects in a timely and appropriate manner.
- In addition, it is highly desirable for the individual to have experience working with large institutional databases and to have experience with data warehouses.
- General office environment. Little or no exposure to adverse working conditions.
Functional supervision is received from the Manager of Research. Administrative supervision is received from the Assistant Vice President for Institutional Effectiveness and Strategic Planning.
HOURS: Monday - Friday 8:15 - 5:00
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.