Senior Software Developer - Tufts Technology Services
DescriptionViewing technology in the context of work, scholarship and campus life, TTS is a university-wide service organization committed to delivering technology services that support Tufts’ mission of teaching, learning, research, and service. Understanding that IT enables innovation, TTS prioritizes holistic, human-centered design strategies to create timely and intuitive services, applications and tools that differentiate the Tufts experience.
Across our diverse and creative teams, we engage and focus our collective talent to strengthen Tufts’ strategic IT capabilities. To keep pace with our community’s emerging needs, we continue to evolve our competencies across four main families of practice, including Planning and Design, Service Delivery and Operations, Data Strategy, and Academic Technology.
Thinking and acting strategically with technology occurs through strong partnerships and an engaged community. Additionally, for technologies to take on integral meaning to our work, we also need reliable and consistent support in using them. With staff across all of Tufts’ campuses, as well as a 24x7 IT Service Desk, we collaborate with schools and divisions to meet the demands of a global, mobile community and to enable the broadest possible access.
Come join our collaborative, flexible work environment, where leadership is valued at all levels of the organization, and opportunities abound to work with leading technologies and learn new skills.
Reporting directly to the Team Lead of Application Support, the Senior Software Developer position requires an experienced, senior-level Java programmer to work on a nationally recognized community source development project, the Kuali Coeus (KC) Research Administration System. In this capacity, the programmer under minimal supervision will develop, create, and modify general computer applications software or specialized utility programs according to standards and best practices. This position will also be responsible for analyzing user needs and for designing, developing, customizing, and maintaining Java programs within an application area, working individually or coordinating development across TTS directorates, as part of a team or acting as the technical project manager. In addition, they will be responsible for translating requirements gathered from clients into use case scenarios, functional specifications, and application architecture designs.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field and 5+ years’ experience in developing and modifying Java-centric enterprise systems.
- Strong foundational knowledge of and experience with open source projects, technologies and tools.
- Demonstrated experience building loosely-coupled, service-oriented distributed systems in an agile development environment.
- Languages/Platforms/Frameworks: Java EE and related frameworks such as JSP, Spring, JPA, and log4j.
- Web Services: SOAP or REST services, XML/XSL/XSD
- Middleware: Tomcat, Apache HTTP Server or other major application server
- Database solutions: Oracle/MySQL or other relational database, experience writing and maintaining SQL scripts
- Development Tools: Apache Maven, distributed version control systems such as Git
- Environment: Experience with Linux/RHEL and Bash scripting
- Testing: experience with continuous integration and writing unit tests.
- Understanding of secure design and coding practices.
- Experience working with Kuali/Kuali Coeus software or other Research Administration software.
- Master’s Degree.
- Application systems development experience in a major research university setting.
- Experience integrating enterprise middleware with existing applications.
- Oracle Java certification.
- Knowledge and experience with enterprise workflow solutions.
Special Work Schedule Requirements:Occasional evening or weekend work, as well as the ability to participate in a 24x7 on call rotation for major incident support activities.
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer – minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Medford/Somerville
Job: IT (Information Technology)
Organization: Tufts Technology Services
Employee Status: Regular
Job Posting: Jul 15, 2019, 10:18:37 AM