Admissions Counselor for Diversity & Outreach
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 331688
Qualifications Required qualifications:The successful candidate must be highly motivated; have strong interpersonal and intercultural communication competence; be detail-oriented with data management; and be able to contribute to build relationships that support the recruitment of top quality students that reflect the demographics of the state and nation.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant area
- Fluency in a second language
- Experience working in a diverse environment and/or with students from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to work in an innovative, collaborative, and sometimes ambiguous environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to UMR values: evidence-based decision making; diversity and inclusion; respect; human potential; and community.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, prioritize tasks, manage multiple projects, and take initiative, working independently without supervision.
- Excellent public speaking.
- Ability to relate well with high school students and parents with strong interpersonal communication competence.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Applicants must be willing to work beyond an 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. work schedule occasionally to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
- Excellent written communication competence, including professionalism in composing emails.
- Ability to use and learn a variety of computer programs including PeopleSoft, SLATE and other data bases.
- Bachelor’s degree from the University of Minnesota Rochester.
- Ability to speak, write and translate in a second language (preferably Spanish, Hmong, or Somali)
- Intercultural communication competence and/or a global perspective (e.g. international or intercultural experiences).
- Peoplesoft, Perceptive Content, SLATE or a similar admission database experience.
- Front Desk Coordination: Provide exceptional hospitality that reflects the UMR grounding values. Manage the front desk of the Admissions and One Stop office. Assist any visitors, prospective and current students that come into the office. Manage incoming phone calls and emails that come into the office.
- Events: Assist with all on-campus events including but not limited to individual visits, group visits, Discover Days, VIP Days, and Health Scholars Day.
- Presentations: Provide UMR overview presentations to prospective students and their families during visit programs, in both individual conversations as well as large group settings.
- Off-campus representation: Assist the traveling admissions recruiters with high school visits and college fairs.
- Prospective Inquiries: Student information received by the university through name purchasing and recruitment activities.
- Applications: Download and process applications through the Common Application and paper applications.
- App documents: Download, process and evaluate transcripts, test scores, letters of recommendation and other supplemental materials.
- Financial Aid: Collect and process financial aid documents including scholarship checks, bus passes and student ID information
- Assist the Senior Admissions Recruiters who oversee the Admissions Student Assistants and the Student Ambassadors and be a point of contact for the Ambassadors when the Admissions recruiter is out of town.
- Train students on front desk customer service, basic level processing and Telecounseling for outbound phone calls.
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position, please click the Apply button and follow the instructions. You will have the opportunity to complete an online application for the position and attach a cover letter and resume.
Additional documents may be attached after application by accessing your "My Job Applications" page and uploading documents in the "My Cover Letters and Attachments" section. This position requires that you attach a: COVER LETTER, RESUME, and DIVERSITY STATEMENT.
This position will remain open until filled.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail [email protected] or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds.
The University of Minnesota provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U: http://diversity.umn.edu.Background Check Information
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Our presumption is that prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.
About the U of M
The University of Minnesota Rochester (UMR)
The University of Minnesota Rochester (UMR) offers distinctive health sciences education to prepare students for a broad spectrum of current and emerging careers, ranging from patient care to pure and applied research. Serving more than 750 students in the heart of downtown Rochester, UMR is "recoding the DNA of learning" through individualized experience, personal growth, community engagement, and an integrated health sciences curriculum for tomorrow's health professionals.