Posting DetailsPosition Information Job TitleSous ChefDepartmentHousing & DiningFull Time/Part TimeFull-TimeRequisition NumberS20030Open Date07/12/2019Close DateSalary Information
$17.84 – $23.66Work Schedule
Weekly work schedule will vary.
This position is considered essential during a campus emergency. The incumbent in this position is expected to report to campus, provide the essential services designated and work under the overall direction of the Crisis Management Team for the duration of a campus emergency.Benefits EligibleYesEligible for OvertimeYesPosition Summary
The Sous Chef assists the Executive Chef in coordinating and supervising the food production activities for a servery. These activities include; supporting the preparation of food products within a servery, assisting the food production staff with culinary training for recipe and menu development, coordinating special functions, guiding cooking staff in the proper methods of food appearance, preparation, sanitation, and safety, and assisting in the development of menus, standardization of recipes and product specifications; also provides leadership and maintains a high level of staff morale, assists with meeting unit budgetary objectives for food, labor, and supply costs, and assists the Executive Chef in the preparation of annual written performances reviews for the production staff.Education RequiredAssociate's DegreeMajor/Discipline
Hospitality management or related field.Substitution for Education Requirement
May substitute additional related experience, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the education requirement.Education PreferredExperience Required3 yearsType of Experience
Experience in commercial hospitality or related field.Substitution for Experience Requirement
May substitute additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement.Experience Preferred
Six or more years of culinary and/or supervising experience of cooking staff.License/Certification Required
Certified Food Handler’s Permit as issued by the City of Houston Health Department within 30 days of hire.License/Certification Preferred
A Certified Sous Chef Certification from the American Culinary Federation.Skills Required
- Excellent attention to detail with a focus on accuracy, being exact, and an eye for detail
- Demonstrated strong business sense
- Proven record of cleanliness ensuring safety and sanitation habits
- Excellent creativity and organizational skills to cook precisely and efficiently with good presentation keeping order and structure
- Expert in culinary with demonstrated ability to cook, knowledge of the kitchen, possess knife and tasting skills, ability to recognize flavors and to judge the balance of seasonings
- Sound decision making and agility skills to make multiple decisions quickly, efficiently, simultaneously and at the last second
- Ability to motivate staff to keep everyone working at a fast, efficient pace as a team including the cooks, bussers, waiters, other staff and management
- Strong multitasking ability to address staff issues while working on other elements of a event, meal or project
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Knowledge of food service computer application.Internal / External Contacts
Frequent contact with students, faculty, staff, vendors and University guests.Physical Demands
LIGHT – Exert up to 25 lbs. of force occasionally. Requires walking or standing up to eight hours per day. Other physical requirements of the job include manual dexterity and the ability to see, hear, reach, climb, and balance. Must be able to detect scents and discern flavors.Working Conditions
Work environment is a commercial kitchen and includes exposure to temperature extremes. Work hazards include exposure to chemicals, wet floors, dangerous equipment (fryers, dough sheeter, tortilla machine,stoves, ovens, knives, slicers, etc), and hot oil, steam, and water.
This position is considered essential during a campus emergency. The incumbent in this position is expected to report to campus, provide the essential services designated and work under the overall direction of the Crisis Management Team for the duration of a campus emergency.Security SensitiveYes Special Instructions to ApplicantsQuick Link for Postinghttp://jobs.rice.edu/postings/20523 Job Duties Job Duty NameEssential FunctionsDescription of Job Duty
- Supervises all food production for assigned servery
- Supports the preparation of food products within a servery by guiding the production staff through culinary training in the proper methods of food preparation, appearance, portion control, and presentation techniques
- Coordinates staff and oversees food preparation, delivery and setup for special catering functions as needed
- Assists the Executive Chef with the planning and scheduling of production and labor
- Assists the Executive Chef with yearly performance appraisals for the production staff
- Assists the Executive Chef in maintaining product rotation and inventory
- Assists the Executive Chef in creating servery budgetary objectives for food, labor and supply costs
- Maintains unit in full compliance with City Health Code and guides cooking staff in the proper methods of sanitation and safety
- Works with the Executive Chef to create recipes and menus as well as upgrade menu files
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Cover Letter
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have an associate's degree in hospitality management or related field, or additional related experience, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the education requirement?
- * Do you have three years or more experience in commercial hospitality or related field, or additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement?
- * Do you have the Certified Food Handler’s Permit (Houston) or equivalent (ServSafe) or ability to obtain within 30 days of employment?
- * Do you have six or more years of culinary and/or supervising experience of cooking staff?
- * This position is required to work during and after normal work hours, to include nights, weekends, and holidays when needed. Are you willing and able to work nights, weekends, holidays and emergencies when needed?
- * Do you have experience working in a large volume food service operation (institutional or commercial)?
- * Do you have experience working in a college or university environment?