Posting DetailsPosition Information Job TitleCook IIDepartmentHousing & DiningFull Time/Part TimeFull-Time: 9 monthsRequisition NumberS20029Open Date07/12/2019Close Date08/09/2019Salary Information
$11.50 – $13.90 an hourWork Schedule
Basic weekly work schedule will vary, but standard work week is 40 hours per week for nine months of the year (with a potential for summer employment).
Typical schedule is either 6 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. or 11:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. The specific days of the week will be determined weekly and can include weekends. Must be flexible.Benefits EligibleYesEligible for OvertimeYesPosition Summary
The Cook II prepares a variety of foods in accordance with menu instructions and standardized recipes; ensures that proper food standards are maintained in the areas of quality, sanitation, and appearance; maintains a clean work area, and assists with general kitchen cleaning. The Cook II performs one or more of the following specialized roles in addition to the duties mentioned above: Grill Cook, Pizza Maker, Food Prep / Sauces, Lead Dishwasher or Baker for the university campus dining operations.Education RequiredNo formal educationMajor/DisciplineSubstitution for Education Requirement
Experience may not be substituted for the education requirement.Education Preferred
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Culinary student or culinary graduate strongly preferred
Related culinary experience.Substitution for Experience Requirement
Education may not be substituted for the experience requirement.Experience Preferred
Two years experience in a large volume food service operation either institutional or commercial.License/Certification Required
Certified Food Handler’s Permit (Houston) or equivalent (ServSafe)License/Certification Preferred
Certified culinary within six months to one year.Skills Required
- Documents HACCP log sheet breakfast
- Able to read/write in English
- Able to read and understand standard recipes/production sheets
- Must be able to detect scents and discern flavors
Frequent contact with students, staff, and faculty.Physical Demands
- LIGHT – Exert up to 25 lbs. of force
- Requires walking or standing up to 8 hours per day
- Other physical requirements of the job include manual dexterity and the ability to see, hear, reach, climb, and balance
- Commercial kitchen and includes exposure to temperature extremes
- Work hazards include exposure to chemicals, wet floors, dangerous equipment (fryers, dough sheeter, tortilla machine, stoves, ovens, knives, slicers, etc), and hot oil, steam, and water
- Prepares and serves food items in accordance with menus and standardized recipes
- Participates in maintaining a high degree of sanitation within the kitchen and serving area including cleaning standard kitchen equipment
- Performs one or more of the following specialized roles for the university campus dining operations:
• Grill Cook – prepares all food on the grill; ensures prepared food is always stocked for consumers
• Pizza Maker – prepares, bakes, and serves a variety of pizzas per menu instructions throughout the lunch service
• Food Prep / Sauces – assists with food preparation and production; prepares various sauces based on daily menus as directed by Cook III / Sous Chef
• Lead Dishwasher – provides direction and supervision for dishwashers and assists in daily dish washing
• Baker / Pastry – assists Cook III and Pastry Chefs with bakery food production
- Performs all other duties as assigned by Cook III /Sous Chef / Pastry Chef
- Cover Letter
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a high school diploma or equivalent?
- * Do you have a year or more of culinary experience?
- * Do you have two years or more of experience working in a large volume food service operation (institutional or commercial)?
- * Do you have the Certified Food Handler’s Permit (Houston) or equivalent (ServSafe) or ability to obtain within 30 days of employment?
- * Are you willing and able to work nights, weekends, holidays and emergencies when needed?
- * Do you have experience working in a college or university environment?
- * Are you able to read and follow standardized recipes written in English?