Posting DetailsPosition Information Job TitleCook IDepartmentHousing & DIningFull Time/Part TimeFull-Time: 9 monthsRequisition NumberS20028Open Date07/12/2019Close Date08/09/2019Salary Information
$11.00 – $12.41 an hourWork Schedule
Basic weekly work schedule will vary, but standard work week is 40 hours per week for nine months of the year (with a potential for summer employment).
Typical schedule is either 6 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. or 11:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. The specific days of the week will be determined weekly and can include weekends. Must be flexible.Benefits EligibleYesEligible for OvertimeYesPosition Summary
The Cook I prepares a variety of foods in accordance with menu instructions and standardized recipes; ensures that proper food standards are maintained in the areas of quality, sanitation, and appearance; maintains a clean work area, and assists with general kitchen cleaning. The Cook I position is designed as an entry-level or internship training position for individuals interested in working in the Culinary Arts. This is primarily a supportive position and requires individuals who can be flexible and manage changing job responsibilities.Education RequiredNo formal educationMajor/DisciplineSubstitution for Education Requirement
Experience may not be substituted for the education requirement.Education Preferred
Culinary student or culinary graduate strongly preferred.Experience Required6 monthsType of Experience
Related culinary experience.Substitution for Experience Requirement
Education may not be substituted for the experience requirement.Experience Preferred
One year of related food service experience.License/Certification Required
Certified Food Handler’s Permit (Houston) or equivalent (ServSafe).License/Certification Preferred
Certified ServSafe-Allergen.Skills Required
- Able to read/write in English
- Able to read and understand standard recipes/production sheets
- Documents HACCP Log sheet Breakfast, Lunch, DinnerInternal / External Contacts
Frequent contact with students, staff, and faculty.Physical Demands
LIGHT – Exert up to 25 lbs. of force occasionally. Requires walking or standing up to 8 hours per day. Other physical requirements of the job include manual dexterity and the ability to see, hear, reach, climb, and balance. Must be able to detect scents and discern flavorsWorking Conditions
Work environment is a commercial kitchen and includes exposure to temperature extremes. Work hazards include exposure to chemicals, wet floors, dangerous equipment (fryers, dough sheeter, tortilla machine,stoves, ovens, knives, slicers, etc), and hot oil, steam, and water.Security SensitiveYes Special Instructions to ApplicantsQuick Link for Postinghttp://jobs.rice.edu/postings/20520 Job Duties Job Duty NameEssential FunctionsDescription of Job Duty
- Prepares a variety of foods in accordance with menu instructions and standardized recipes; ensures that proper food standards are maintained in the areas of quality, sanitation, and appearance; maintains a clean work area, and assists with general kitchen cleaning
- Provides supportive assistance to the kitchen by performing one or more of the following roles:
• Cashier: Responsible for providing customer service to individuals entering the unit, answering questions and maintaining door security. Shared responsibility for cleanliness and set-up at the front of the house.
• Dishwasher: Responsible for maintaining servery and kitchen cleanliness. Assists in daily dishwashing, including pots and pans. Responsible for sweeping and mopping.
• Cold Prep: Responsible for assisting with food production and preparation of cold food items such as salads, fruit trays and deli items. Responsible for cleanliness and stocking of assigned work station before, during and after service.
- Participates in maintaining a high degree of sanitation within the kitchen and serving area including cleaning standard kitchen equipment
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Cover Letter
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have six months or more of culinary experience?
- * Do you have one or more years of food service experience?
- * Do you have the Certified Food Handler’s Permit (Houston) or equivalent (ServSafe) or ability to obtain within 30 days of employment?
- * Are you able to read and follow standardized recipes written in English?
- * Are you willing and able to work nights, weekends, holidays and emergencies when needed?
- * Do you have experience working in a college or university environment?
- * Do you have experience working in a large volume food service operation (institutional or commercial)?