Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal background check, reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results acceptable to Dickinson College. A criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Below you will find the details for the position including any supplementary documentation and questions you should review before applying for the opening. To apply for this position, please click the Apply for this Job link/button.
If you would like to bookmark this position for later review, click on the Bookmark link. If you would like to print a copy of this position for your records, click on the Print Preview link.Posting Details Position Information Posting NumberS00876Position TitleCookWorking TitlePosition NumberPay Grade/CategoryIntermediate Contributor APosition TypeNon-exempt Division and Department Information DivisionFinance and AdministrationDepartmentDining Services Posting Information Job Summary/Basic Function
This is a hands-on food production position. The cook must have the ability to work in all production stations in the kitchen, dining room, and service line. Duties include quality food preparation through the use of standardized recipes; assisting the chef with recipe validation by verifying quantities of ingredients, used, methods used, and resulting yield; and cleaning and maintaining appliances, production utensils, and work areas.duties Include:
- Produces high quality food products by using approved cooking methods and by following standardized recipes.
- Accurately completes production sheets for all items produced in a timely manner (same day; preferably at end of meal).
- Works at action stations on the line, in the dining hall, and at events as assigned and prepares food quickly, with high quality, in a pleasant and entertaining manner.
- Ensures safety of self and others by following best practices defined by ServSafe, HACCP steps, and OSHA and college policies and procedures.
- Performs pre-meal/advanced preparation and JIT production using all the following methods of food production: broil, bake, stew, braise, roast, grill, sauté, and deep fry; also slices, dices, chops, mixes, marinates, and blends.
- Responsible for producing assigned foods; directing servers on proper portion size and service techniques/utensils/plating of assigned foods; and ensures assigned food is garnished and presented in an attractive manner.
- Cooperates with and supports all other employees and departments as needed. Performs any other duties as requested by management.
- This position is designated as “emergency response personnel”. “Emergency response personnel” are required to report to work when the college is delayed or closed. They may also be called in at any time of the day to respond to weather and/or other types of emergencies as needed.
High School Diploma or GED with 1-3 years of related experience.Preferred:
Vocational or technical certificate/degree in Culinary Arts
Current ServSafe certificationA valid Driver's Licence is required. Employees (operators) must have been in possession of a valid operator’s license for not less than three (3) years and the license must have been in good standing without interruption during that time period.NoSuccessful candidate will also be required to complete ACT 153 ClearanceNoThis position is considered "Emergency Staff." As such they may be required to report to work even when the college is closed or is operating under a delayed start.YesPhysical Demands
This position requires the employee to stand for prolong periods of time. Employee must have the ability to lift 50 pounds as needed.
Ability to use hands and fingers to manipulate equipment, knives and food products
Must be able to see-including color distinction, smell, and taste.
Hours Vary depending on business needs. Position starts as early as 6 am or as late as 11:30 am. Two days off per week.Number of hours/day8Number of hours/week40Proposed Start Date07/21/2019 Posting Detail Information Posting DateOpen Until FilledNoClosing DateApplication Review Begin DateIs this a Temporary Position?NoFull-Time/Part-TimeFull TimeIf Full-Time, please specify12 month full-time (52 weeks)If Part-Time, please specifyNot ApplicableEEO/Diversity Statement
The College is committed to building a representative and diverse faculty, administrative staff, and student body. We encourage applications from all qualified persons.Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- CASE (Council for Advancement & Support of Education)
- Consortium for Faculty Diversity
- Employee Referral
- Jobs at Dickinson (http://jobs.dickinson.edu)
- Monster Jobs (monster.com)
- Patriot News
- Referral from Dickinson staff, faculty, friend or family member
- Sentinel Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Yahoo Jobs
- The Guide
- Other Website
- Inside Higher Ed
- Another College website
- Academic Careers
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application