Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal background check, reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results acceptable to Dickinson College. A criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Below you will find the details for the position including any supplementary documentation and questions you should review before applying for the opening. To apply for this position, please click the Apply for this Job link/button.
If you would like to bookmark this position for later review, click on the Bookmark link. If you would like to print a copy of this position for your records, click on the Print Preview link.Posting Details Position Information Posting NumberS00701Position TitleLine ServerWorking TitlePosition NumberWallace (SP9931), Locke (SP9951)Hodge(SP9952)Pay Grade/CategoryContributor APosition TypeNon-exempt Division and Department Information DivisionFinance and AdministrationDepartmentDining Services Posting Information Job Summary/Basic Function
The line server sets up, operates, closes, and cleans food counters, deli, grill, and self-service stations in the dining hall. The line server interacts directly with Dickinson College students and serves as ambassadors of the college for students and other guests. The line server ensures the timely, friendly, clean and safe delivery of food to customers while demonstrating positivity and warmth from the time the guest arrives to the time the guest departs.
- Reviews with culinary staff the menus, defined portions, garnish, and serving utensils before serving line opens.
- Serves food and controls serving size portions according to guidelines established by Dining Services while understanding the concept of all-you-care-to-eat, customer desires, and production limitations: will limit servings if and only when kitchen production cannot keep up with demand.
- Presents self and service counters in a neat, orderly, clean, and sanitary fashion.
- Helps shift supervisor or student-supervisor train casual employees in the performance of counter and self-serve station set-ups.
- Prepares menu signs, sets out line cards, and verifies labeling of allergens, dietary traits such as vegan foods by working with the brand manager or office support staff.
- Supports salad bar, dessert, bar, grains and sauce bar, and gluten-free station as needed
- Answers all customer questions about menu items found throughout the dining hall; collaborates with chefs and others if unsure of answers.
- Assists with light kitchen work such as emptying fryer baskets or setting up other foods for immediate use on the serving line / Assists with dish room operations as needed / Sets up dishes, bowls, and other related items for the next meal period / Performs other tasks as assigned
- This position is designated as “emergency response personnel”. “Emergency response personnel” are required to report to work when the college is delayed or closed. They may also be called in at any time of the day to respond to weather and/or other types of emergencies as needed.
High School Diploma or GED is required.
ServSafe certification required within one year of hire / Previous experience in an institutional food service is preferred.A valid Driver's Licence is required. Employees (operators) must have been in possession of a valid operator’s license for not less than three (3) years and the license must have been in good standing without interruption during that time period.NoSuccessful candidate will also be required to complete ACT 153 ClearanceNoThis position is considered "Emergency Staff." As such they may be required to report to work even when the college is closed or is operating under a delayed start.NoPhysical Demands
Lifting up to 25 pounds
Prolonged Standing or Walking
Mon.-Fri. 7 a.m.-2:30 p.m.; scheduled 4 days per week up to 29 hours.
Weekday evenings 4:30-9 p.m. & Weekends as early as 7 a.m. and as late as 9 p.m.; scheduled up to 29 hours per week.
The College is committed to building a representative and diverse faculty, administrative staff, and student body. We encourage applications from all qualified persons.Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- CASE (Council for Advancement & Support of Education)
- Consortium for Faculty Diversity
- Employee Referral
- Jobs at Dickinson (http://jobs.dickinson.edu)
- Monster Jobs (monster.com)
- Patriot News
- Referral from Dickinson staff, faculty, friend or family member
- Sentinel Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Yahoo Jobs
- The Guide
- Other Website
- Inside Higher Ed
- Another College website
- Academic Careers
- * Please specify if you are applying for Schedule 1, 2 or 3.
- Schedule 1
- Schedule 2
- Schedule 3
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application