Nutrition Education Assistant
Job location: Commerce TAMUC
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-07-12
Job TitleNutrition Education AssistantAgencyTexas A&M University - CommerceDepartmentAthleticsProposed Minimum SalaryCommensurateJob LocationCommerce, TexasJob TypeStaffJob Description
INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANT:
During the application process you have one opportunity to upload documents as a combined PDF. The page “My Experience” has an area provided under Resume/CV to drop or upload the file.
This one combined PDF must include:
- Cover Letter
- Three professional references with complete contact information (Unsolicited letters of recommendation will not be considered).
- Transcripts – If required for the position (Unofficial will be accepted with application. Official transcripts are required at time of verbal offer).
If transcripts are from an international institution, it is the responsibility of the prospective faculty member to have the transcripts translated and evaluated by an approved credential evaluator.
All documents must be electronically submitted through the Texas A&M Online Employment Services website to be considered. Incomplete or improperly submitted applications may be excluded from consideration.
The Nutrition Education Assistant, under supervision, assists and counsels student- athlete participants in knowledge and behaviors related to nutrition, food safety, food resource management, and physical activity and recovery from injury and illness, weight management, hydration and supplementation. Responsible for supporting all members in championing happier, and healthier lives by promoting student-athlete health and wellness.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES (15 or less):
- Promotes leadership and personal development among program participants.
- Assists with nutrition education material development, social media interactions, and athletic dining education material development. Engages athletes in meaningful ways to strengthen programming efforts.
- Conducts educational sessions according to program policies and procedures using approved materials and resources. Assess and counsel student-athletes on optimal nutritional practices for exercise training, competition, recovery from practice, recovery from injury and illness, weight management, hydration and supplementation.
- Implement sport-specific hydration protocols to prevent heat related illness and promote health through adequate hydration.
- Coordinate and teach nutrition education, cooking programs and grocery store tours for student-athletes independently and in collaboration with student-athlete development programming.
- Prepares and maintains required program reports.
- Serve as a nutrition resource for coaches, sports medicine staff, sport performance staff, academic services staff, and others within the department.
- Collects required pre- and post-program surveys as required.
- Assist with team travel nutrition needs as necessary
- Educate on meal plans/layouts for practices, home games and travel
- Complete assessments through the season and post season to determine what areas need improvement
- Maintain knowledge of the compliance with, specific NCAA, Lone Star Conference, and institution rules that relate to this position
- Serve on the internal Performance Team.
- Education: High school diploma
- Experience / Knowledge / Skills: No prior experience required
- Ability to: Multi-task and work well as part of a team. Knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Licensing/Professional Certifications: Ability to obtain Registered Dietitian certification within 6 months of employment
- Physical Requirements: NA
- Other Requirements: Ability to work beyond normal office hours and/or work weekends.
PREFERRED EDUCATION / SKILLS/ EXPERIENCE:
Preferred Bachelor’s degree with one (1) year direct experience
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS:
This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and authorities of this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. Other duties may be assigned. Texas A&M University-Commerce is committed to promotion of diversity and thus all employees are expected to facilitate a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and ability to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds. This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. The University has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.