Goodnight Distinguished Chair in Quantum Computing
Posting DetailsPosting Information Vacancy TypeTenured/Tenure-Track FacultyIs Internal Transfer OnlyNoWorking TitleGoodnight Distinguished Chair in Quantum ComputingSalary RangeAnticipated Hiring RangeCommensurate with education/experiencePosition Number00005071Work ScheduleAcademic Position - Hours VaryFull Time Equivalent (FTE)1.00Department140401 - Electrical & Computer Engr.DepartmentElectrical & Computer Engr.Job City & StateRaleigh, NCPrimary Function of Organizational Unit
The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) is one of the top 10 suppliers of ECE talent at the BS level in the US, and also ranks in the top 10 ECE Departments in total annual research expenditures (ASEE). The department is located in state-of-the-art facilities on NC State’s Centennial Campus.
The University is located in the technology-rich Research Triangle metropolitan area, and ECE faculty members collaborate routinely with local industry. The Research Triangle area is frequently recognized in nationwide surveys as one of the best places to live in the U.S. We enjoy outstanding public schools, affordable housing, and great weather, all in the proximity of the mountains and the seashore.Essential Job Duties
The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering invites applications for the Goodnight Distinguished Chair in Quantum Computing. The appointment to this endowed chair will help lead the growth of a multidisciplinary university activity synergistic with the IBM Q Hub at NC State, http://quantum.ncsu.edu. The appointment will be at the tenured, full professor level, and all areas of quantum computing will be considered. The successful candidate is expected to build an internationally recognized research program, demonstrate ability to attract external funding, teach courses at the undergraduate and graduate level, and is expected to serve as research adviser for doctoral students.
Inclusiveness and diversity are integral to NC State’s commitment to excellence in research, engagement, and education. We are particularly interested in candidates who have demonstrated experience engaging with diversity through activities such as fostering an inclusive environment, working with students from diverse backgrounds, or incorporating diverse perspectives in research.Other Work/Responsibilities
Other duties as assigned.Minimum Education/Experience
- Candidates must possess a Ph.D. or equivalent in electrical or computer engineering, computer science, physics or a related discipline at the time of appointment.
- Candidates must have demonstrated the potential to build a strong research program and an excellent teaching record.
- Candidate must have a strong commitment to academic and research excellence, and an outstanding research record commensurate with the expectations of a major research university.
- Candidate must have demonstrated experience engaging with diversity through activities such as fostering an inclusive environment, working with students from diverse backgrounds, or incorporating diverse perspectives in research.
N/ARequired License or Certification
Applicants should submit the following online: cover letter, curriculum vitae, research statement, teaching statement, and names and complete contact information for four references, including email address and phone numbers.
Candidates can obtain information about the department and its research programs, as well as more detail about the position advertised at http://www.ece.ncsu.edu.
Inquiries may be sent via email to the Faculty Search Committee Chair, at [email protected]Job Open Date07/09/2019Anticipated Closing DateIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoProposed Hire Date01/01/2020AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you or will you have your PhD by start date?
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Research Statement
- Teaching Statement
- Contact Information for References